yankee1chic

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHudson Valley, NY

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

:help:

NY State Law requires that we have the rabies vaccine done by the time our dogs are 4 months old. (By 3 months old in NYC) Bernie will be 5 months old in one week. I am nervous because I have been warned that he could have a possible reaction. He did have a mild reaction to his kennel cough vaccine. I had to do that one because we will be boarding him from time to time. (first time will be this Friday for one night) He is scheduled for his rabies shot today at 4:30. (It's almost 2am now....I'm somewhat of a night owl)

At what age did your havanese get their first rabies vaccine? Did you have any problems? Also, any words of advice?

Thanks. Sorry about the short notice. It has been weighing on my mind since I was warned about the possible reactions.
Wendy.....Proud new Momma to Bernie!!

#2 klomanchiodo

klomanchiodo

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationRiverview, FL

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

Hi Wendy,
Both of my girls, Willow and Bella, got their rabies vaccinations at 4 months of age. Neither of them had any problems with the vaccination. Our vet recommened giving the vaccine at 16 weeks. She has been our vet for many years and I trust her judgement. If I were in your position, I would speak with your vet about your concerns, the reaction that Bernie had, and see what they think about the situation.

All my best,
Kristy

:help:

NY State Law requires that we have the rabies vaccine done by the time our dogs are 4 months old. (By 3 months old in NYC) Bernie will be 5 months old in one week. I am nervous because I have been warned that he could have a possible reaction. He did have a mild reaction to his kennel cough vaccine. I had to do that one because we will be boarding him from time to time. (first time will be this Friday for one night) He is scheduled for his rabies shot today at 4:30. (It's almost 2am now....I'm somewhat of a night owl)

At what age did your havanese get their first rabies vaccine? Did you have any problems? Also, any words of advice?

Thanks. Sorry about the short notice. It has been weighing on my mind since I was warned about the possible reactions.

Kristy

Willow, Bella & General's Mama

#3 Leeann

Leeann

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:37 AM

Any shots always make me worry. The only advise I have would be to make sure it has been at least 3 weeks since his last shot. Also ask if you can just hang around the vet office for 20-30 min after the shot just to make sure he is not going to have a fast reaction to it then just watch him over the next few weeks for any changes.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Leeann
Riley, Monte & Rumor's mom

#4 Pattys

Pattys

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationBahamas

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

Truffles had hers from the breeder's vet before we picked her up - her vet refused to let us handle it our own way - at 5.5 months.

Some vets who know better will give a shot based on the weight of the animal. And you can help homeopathically BEFORE and AFTER the vaccine so that the adverse effects are lessened as much as possible. The best (only, really) knowledgeable veterinary homeopath in the US for this is Aleks Mikic in Iowa (though she works at a distance on the phone) - Aleks Mikic <zadikmo@msn.com>

I'd cancel the appointment until you can feel comfortable about it - whether it is a week or a month - it is your choice, really.

Rather than board Bernie overnight - is there anyone at all who might be able to love him for you while you're gone, a nice local friend, family, another havanese owner? It would buy you some time to look at your options for him!

Here is Aleks's book - ebook or hard copy - http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/aleks_m
Patty and Truffles, in Paradise

#5 Tucker's mom

Tucker's mom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

I can't remember at what age N. H. requires the rabies vaccine, but it was earlier that the breeder felt was safe for Tucker. The vet said that with a letter from the breeder that it could be harmful to Havanese before the age of one year we could delay the vaccine until then and that's what we did. Check with you vet to see if that's an option for you.

#6 Ans

Ans

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hiro had his rabies vaccine at 3 months.

Seasonsgreetings from Ans and Hiro

Nhiro_300_zpsab2596aa.jpg

http://hiromeinhavi.jimdo.com/

#7 yankee1chic

yankee1chic

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHudson Valley, NY

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to cancel the appt and wait at least a few weeks. He had his last distemper and his bordatella about two weeks ago so I will def wait at least two more weeks. Thanks again!
Wendy.....Proud new Momma to Bernie!!

#8 Brooke&Colby

Brooke&Colby

Talkative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWalnut Creek, CA

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

We just got back from the vet for Colby's 2nd rabies vaccination. His first time he had a slight reaction...a lump between the shoulders. The vet said this was normal as long as it didn't get too big or last too long. This time for his booster shot today she wanted to be on the safe side so she gave him a shot of benadryl before and kept him for an hour to make sure that everything was ok since it can worse the second time around. No reaction and he was fine! I will keep a eye on him tonight but so far so good! Also, I decided to do the DA2P and Parvo a month apart from the rabies as recommended.

#9 Barbara

Barbara

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

Please read this article:

Rabies Vaccination: 13 Ways to Vaccinate More Safely
Barbara, Huggie & Eli's Mom
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Pattys

Pattys

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationBahamas

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the good article, Barbara.

Brooke&Colby's mom -- that is not normal or a good sign, the lump at the injection site. No, not normal - common maybe, but not normal at all!

And suppressing the potential reaction with Benadryl - that's not even ethical. Wouldn't you want to know if your dog(s) were going to have an adverse reaction (as Colby did) so you can exempt him from further vaccines?
Patty and Truffles, in Paradise

#11 Natalie

Natalie

Certified CDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

Definitely DO NOT give the rabies vaccine with other shots. Wait at least 2-3 weeks. Roscoe had his rabies at the end of January, and he's going in this week for the Parvo/Distemper yearly. First time he had a little reaction, puked twice and was lethargic, this time he was fine. Thank goodness. I also learned to make the rabies shot EARLY in the day so that if he does have a reaction I can go straight back to the vet. The first time he had it around 6:00 and the vet closes at 7:00. Luckily, when I called in a panic at 7:10, the vet saw my number and answered.
Natalie, mom to "The Fluffs", Roscoe: Yup's Shot in the Dark CGC & Stella: Yup's She's a Pistol CGC, part-time mom to Maddie

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies." - Gene Hill

#12 Kimberly

Kimberly

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern WA (& SF Bay Area part-time)

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

I try to hold out until the pup is around six months, unfortunately, if you are traveling or taking the dog somewhere that requires it, you must follow the law.

No matter what though, you need to follow these two "rules" before allowing your havanese to get the Rabies vaccine:
1) You need at least a three week window between the Rabies vaccine and any other vaccine.
2) Never give any vaccine (Rabies or any other vaccine) to a dog that isn't completely healthy.

Fortunately, the odds are in your favor that your havanese will not have a reaction, but you might as well stack the odds even higher in your favor. And heck, call your breeder to see if any family members of your pup have had vaccine reactions, especially to Rabies. I've been very fortunate that only my first Havs had a half sibling that had a reaction and that was five years ago or so. Since then, I don't even know of any family members of any of my Havs that have had reactions. I think we're seeing fewer reactions, but I also think people are being more cautious about when their dogs get the vaccines.

#13 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

Please read this article:

Rabies Vaccination: 13 Ways to Vaccinate More Safely

Thanks for the article, Barbara. I am educating myself on rabbies vaccination and it's an excellent article. Hopefully, soon all the states in the US will accept titers for vaccines so we don't over vaccinate our dogs.
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image