119 replies to this topic

#1 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Poornima has suggested we have our own Puppy Cut thread. GREAT idea! Poornima, go ahead and post what you'd like here. :thumbsup:

Those of you who have pictures and instructions about your Havs' puppy cuts, please post them here. Pictures have been so helpful to all those who have brought their havanese to a groomer and weren't sure what to ask them for. There are so many 'horror stories' about what the dogs can look like after a bad grooming experience. With the advice and photos in this thread, you can print things out that you like and use that as a guide to help you and your groomer get the best look! :)

Please try to keep too many comments about the dogs' looks to a minimum so we can keep the focus of this thread on education. Thanks everyone!

ETA - more info....
  • eileen likes this
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#2 ls-indy

ls-indy

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationFishers, Indiana (suburb of Indianapolis)

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Should we post "Do It Yourself Grooming" here - or have a separate thread for us "DIY" amateur groomers?? We had a separate thread previously..... (and it was HUGE...)
  • lifedoc likes this
Lynda (Daisy & Beau's mom)
Daisy Mae - born 4/05/08
Beau - born 4/25/09

#3 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Sure, Lynda. I think a 'DIY' thread will be fine, but not here in the "cut" section, just in the general "grooming" section, please. Thanks! :)

My only concern about a "DIY" thread is that a lot of great information gets lost in there. Advice on scissors, dryers, shampoos, etc... should be posted in their own threads, but the DIY grooming thread can be very helpful with tips, pictures and stories. I think we can post links in there, to great sites, or even to other threads in this forum that can be helpful too. That should work! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#4 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

I was thinking perhaps we have two sections. DIY: where members who do the grooming by themselves post/ share thier tips, techniques with photos and videos. The Puppy Cut Album should only have the pictures. I know this might get a little complicated but my experience like you said is that all the info, pictures gets lost in all those pictues and posts. If I liked someone's puppy cut and wanted more info, I used to PM the member so that the thread didn't get too bulky and I also could store the info in my computer where I could easily find. Perhaps with this kind of organization, we could find the info more easily.

What do you think?

(Edited: Typo)

Edited by Poornima, 22 August 2010 - 02:38 PM.

• Lilly's Mom and lifedoc like this
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#5 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Poornima, I don't think a Photo only thread in this section will stay that way for long. Knowing me, and others, there are bound to be a lot of comments, questions and praise (or pity!) posted. LOL

I would like to keep this thread free of too many comments, and instead focused on pictures and instructions people have given to their groomers to get the look they want. There are bound to be other threads where these same dogs will appear in photos and we can gab all we like about them in those. ;)

I've edited my first post ........ :thumbsup:
  • Lilly's Mom likes this
Posted Image

#6 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

Here are some links to nice puppy cuts:

http://www.rumbaclub...ng/grooming.htm

http://www.mts.net/~...5/grooming.html ... a little further down the page under "Pet Clips"
Posted Image

#7 Jane

Jane

Out of Control

• Moderators
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

I just ordered the Jodi Murphy Havanese video today. It says that she shows how to do a longer puppy cut (with thinning shears and scissors) as well as a shorter puppy cut with trimmers.

I have heard from a few others that it was a really good video, so for $40, it is on its way to me! I hope it helps!
Jane
Lincoln & Scout's Mom

Posted ImagePosted Image
Lincoln & Scout (^ Photo by Carolina Cross)

#8 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Here are some of Ricky's looks in the past. Right now, he is at his longest (about 11" from the middle of his back), but I used to trim him regularly because of his cottony, profuse coat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's Sammy in a shorter cut, 2 summers ago. I've only used scissors on Sammy, never a clipper. I'm sure he'd look quite ugly in a short 'do! :o

Posted Image
  • Lilly's Mom likes this
Posted Image

#9 linda

linda

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationKing of Prussia,Pa

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Ok, here are my 3 with their puppycuts!Attached File  IMG_0283.jpg   42.75KB   49 downloads

Attached Files

• Lilly's Mom likes this
Linda, Bella, Fred, and baby Scuds

#10 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Clover in coat, many years ago :-)
Attached File  Vintage Clover Obedience.jpg   81.17KB   6 downloads

Clover in a mid-length puppy cut, probably 3-4"
Attached File  Clover 6 weeks.jpg   39.51KB   12 downloads

Clover when I got tired of waiting for his post-op hair to grow out. I'm usually a very even person but I have my impulsive moments and today I picked up my clippers and decided to bring the mountain to Mohamed... this is by far the shortest he has EVER been!! You can still kind of see the band of shorter hair on his left leg where his IV drip was in, and his surgery leg is still a little shorter, but at least it's not SO obvious anymore!
Attached File  Less Than Fuzzy.jpg   48.75KB   15 downloads

Edited to add: The mid-length and short short cut were done with the same clippers and snap on comb. #10 Blade on my Wahl clippers (they are so old I couldn't even tell you the model anymore) and my 1/2" comb. The longer cut (which is a tiny bit grown out) was done with the length of the hair; the shorter cut was against the grain. Legs and ears were scissored short, and blended with thinning shears.

Edited by Kat, 04 September 2010 - 11:38 AM.

• Lilly's Mom likes this

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN BN

:clover: Clover, CDX RN NA NAJ; 1997 - 2012

sigpic8232_2.gif

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the room we can spare, and the love we can spare,
and they give us their all. It is truly the best deal man has ever made."
- Roger Caras

#11 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

You know, Karen, I LIKE his latest cut! He looks very puppy-like. Thanks for the pics!
Posted Image

#12 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

I can understand growing impatient for the post-op hair cut to catch up! It took six months for Rufus' fanny trim to grow 2 inches long and blend with a short cut! Finally he is matched in well enough to grow his coat out again. For me, better shorter length and evenly trimmed than some long and some short! I think Clover looks very cute in his shorty-short cut. You did a good job on it.
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

Here's Benji's 1st puppy cut. My groomer in CA used to do a great job. After moving to the East Coast, I decided to do the grooming all by myself. The last picture of Benji's close up is from the last year. I cut his bangs in Sierra style. I like to keep my furballs in longish puppy coats.

Marj, Sammy's coat is so beautiful.

Karen, I am tempted sometimes to keep mine in a short cut when grooming gets to hectic, but my DH wouldn't hear of it.

Attached Files

Edited by Poornima, 05 October 2010 - 03:30 PM.

Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#14 Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

Poornima,

You do such a great job with the puppy cuts.  I am really impressed.  

Posted Image

Pattie, Mami to RICOSuave, ChaCha, Pearlie & Ozz
LaMontaña Havanese
http://lamontanahavanese.com

#15 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:35 AM

Poornima,

You do such a great job with the puppy cuts.  I am really impressed.  

Pattie, I can't take credit for the top three pictures. It was my CA groomer's handywork. She gave me some training before we left CA and I just keep doing what she showed me. The last picture is after I started grooming. :)
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#16 Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

Yes, and I still say that you do a great job with the cuts!  When my little ones are all done showing, I hope you are back in CA so that you can teach me!
Posted Image

Pattie, Mami to RICOSuave, ChaCha, Pearlie & Ozz
LaMontaña Havanese
http://lamontanahavanese.com

#17 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

Thanks, Pattie! I continue to dream about returning to CA. :) I would love to share my tricks with you. BTW, I have to warn you, I have sticky fingers when it comes to cute little furballs, especially as cute as yours...do you still want me to groom your pretty little ones? :D
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#18 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Poornima, that is a great picture of your two, on the couch. One of my faves! I love that you can see Benji's face so nicely, yet he still has long hair. Sammy's hair is much longer now than in that pic since that was taken 2 yrs. ago, but his hair takes forever to grow!
Posted Image

#19 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

Thanks, Marj! Actually, I love Sammy's picture and his puppy cut. Since I have been sick with 2 bouts of flu back to back, I have no energy to bathe and groom my two. They are way overdue for bath. I have called a mobile groomer to bathe them and do a hygiene trim today. I am going to show her pictures of puppy cuts and one of it will be Sammy's. I still don't have the nerve to let her do the trimming of their coats but just wanted to see if she would be able to do something similar with Lizzie! LOL!
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#20 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

(((Poornima))) I hope you feel better soon. The flu sucks!! Let us know how the trim went - pics of course too. ;)
Posted Image