Photo

Anyone used Trifexis? Information, links and advice.

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Janet Hicks

Janet Hicks

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationDolores Colorado

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

Wondering if anyone has experience with it, or knows safety issues associated with it?
  • MafchighMoida likes this
Janet Hicks
Dolores Colorado

#2 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

I hadn't heard of it Janet. Is is new? Here's a link to info. on it for anyone else who hasn't heard of it. http://www.trifexis....CookieSupport=1
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Janet Hicks

Janet Hicks

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationDolores Colorado

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

more info:

http://www.fda.gov/d...s/UCM252248.pdf

One of my pup owners was asking me about it as she has a terrible flea problem in So Cal and the normal treatments are not effective enough.
Janet Hicks
Dolores Colorado

#4 Barbara

Barbara

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

more info:

http://www.fda.gov/d...s/UCM252248.pdf

One of my pup owners was asking me about it as she has a terrible flea problem in So Cal and the normal treatments are not effective enough.

Janet, I live in So Cal and I used only ACV as a final rinse and Flea Treats (vitamin B) until Huggie was 6 months old. Then last September when it got really hot, Huggie got fleas for the first time while I was away on vacation.

I hate to use anything but natural stuff and didn't want to put any chemicals on his skin so I tried Comfortis. The directions say to give one tablet every 30 days but I have only used it twice and haven't seen any fleas in months. He is 15 months old now. The Comfortis really works well, but I will only use it if I actually see a flea on him.
Barbara, Huggie & Eli's Mom
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Starr

Starr

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPinole, CA

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Buster [15 months old] was scratching 2 weeks after apply Frontline. I wasn't sure at first if he was itching due to fleas or if he was having a reaction to the Frontline. Besides the itching, his coat was so dirty from the oil attracting all kinds of dirt.

Well, I found flea dirt on him, so the Frontline was not even effective. As both dogs were at the Vet for a blood test for Heartworm before starting Heartguard, I asked our Vet about Trifexis. He said it is made by Eli Lilly [as is Comfortis], is new and he did not have experience with it yet but would be glad to order it for me. I wanted to research it further, so in the meantime, I have both dogs on Comfortis - which killed any fleas on him in just minutes - and Heartguard.
Starr, Mom to Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Buster Posey, Rookie of the Year

Posted Image Posted Image

Pinole, CA
San Francisco Bay Area

#6 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Is it a flea and heartworm protection? Is the purpose the convenience of just one pill instead of giving 2 different ones
I don't want to give anything to Pennie and Comet just for my convenience! I want to give them things that are good and healthy for them
  • Carol in Sonoma likes this

Sally

4903521534_046a526147_m.jpg7559416582_8c4cd1fc85_m.jpg

8193599471_121b9b4c4a_m.jpg9227403770_2f4d3fee4c_m.jpg

Pennie say "Hi!"
"Love to the fullest for as long as you have the opportunity." by Sharlene
(((Oliver and Comet)))
Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts
We are blessed with love,laughter,friendship and havanese.

#7 Mom2Izzo

Mom2Izzo

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Janet- I switched Cassie and Izzo both to Trefexis about 3 months ago and they have done great on it. No issues or adverse rxn's. My vet is extremely involved with LSU vet school so I trust her opinion. She said they are seeing a LOT of breakthrough cases with heartworms here with people who never miss a dose of Heartguard with their animals. She also said the fleas are becoming resistant to all of the other treatments such as Frontline. I told her I would give the Trifexis a try and have been happy so far. I like only having to remember one pill a month that covers both heartworms and fleas.

#8 Heidi Laws

Heidi Laws

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

My dog was prescribed Trifexis, along with an antibiotic and a pain killer (for bad hips). It was a Wednesday. Shortly after giving her all three she began to act a little "loopy". We assumed it was the pain killer so we stopped giving her the pain killer. Thursday: she did not improve and was still acting drugged out. Then we noticed she was acting disinterested in her food and threw up once. I thought maybe her stomach was upset from the antibiotic. Thursday night was the last dose of antibiotic. Friday night she refused her dinner. We thought that since we took her off everything she was on that she would improve over the weekend and, if not, we could take her to the vet on Monday morning. Saturday morning when we woke up our dog was dead.

Before we took her to the vet on Wednesday she was perky, a voracious eater, and a happy dog. Right from that initial dose of meds she was never the same and died just a few short days later. I strongly believe it was the Trifexis that killed her, though I have no proof. The reason for this belief is because the other meds that she was taking were meds that she had to take every 8 hours (I think this implies that after 8 hours it would be out of her system). We took her off the other meds... but once you give the Trifexis, you can't take it back! It's in their system for a whole month.

Like I said, I have no concrete proof that it was the Trifexis. It's just my personal opinion. The vet agreed that it must've been a drug reaction, but she did not offer an opinion as to which drug she felt caused it.

I hate to be a downer, but since you asked, I felt it was the responsible thing to do to share my story.

Additional Info: I don't know if its useful info or not, but our dog was a border collie.

Edited by Heidi Laws, 22 November 2011 - 10:30 PM.

• SalliJames likes this

#9 Deena

Deena

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationAllenspark, Colorado

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

oh my gosh, bless your heart. What a horrible thing to go through. So sorry for your loss.
Knowledge is strength so thank you for sharing
  • Heidi Laws likes this
feb 19-11 007.JPG

Little Guy Rumba NA, NAJ
call name, RUMBA!!!!!

#10 Euki

Euki

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

I started one of my dogs on Trifexis on Monday (today is Friday). He's not pictured below as we only just adopted him, but he looks to be a Boston/Beagle/Heinz 57 type mix ;) and about 20 lbs. My vet had high praise for Trifexis and had had (to date) no reports from other clients/patients regarding adverse affects. That said, he still caries the usual other products for clients that desire it - Frontline, Heartguard, etc. Trifexis prevents/controls heartworm, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm as well as fleas, but does nothing for ticks. One pill lasts one month.

As far as administration, my vet did recommend to give the pill with a meal, (so I assume some queasiness is possible if given without food). I did so and my dog kept his meal down and did not exhibit any signs of queasiness (gulping/eating grass/refusing food/water, etc).

Prior to giving it, I did a fair amount of research on it, online. There are a lot of reviews online from people that are using it, so here's my recap of it:

It seems that the majority of people reviewing the item had high praise for Trifexis and positive results. For the reviews I read where the breed was listed, it looked like a pretty even spread of size and type and though I didn't see any reviews by people with Havanese specifically, there were plenty of reviews by people who had their smaller dogs on it - Shih Tzu, Chinese Crested, Toy Poodles, etc.

That said, I also bought some for Baron because I've been using Heartguard and Frontline with mine but I hated the mess that the Frontline made of Baron's hair at the point of application. I haven't administered it yet b/c I wanted to do some more research and thought I'd stop by here to see if anyone had any accounts/experience with it. :D

It also seems that the most common problem was throwing up after administration. One reviewer that had this problem (even after administering it with a meal) said their vet recommended breaking the pill in half and giving only a half pill per meal (breakfast and dinner). This resolved the problem and the reviewer rated the product very well.

The most common complaints I read about were 1) dog does not like to eat the pill and 2) dog throws the pill up after administration.

Of course, as with all the synthetic and natural parasiticides and insecticides available on the market today, there were also reviews of people that reported severe complications (including - like Heidi's account above, death. And Heidi, I am so sorry for your loss) which they blamed on the Trifexis. To be fair, I have read the same type of reviews (regarding severe complication, including death) on all of the other comprable products (both topical and oral applications). There were also some reviews I read that said despite being on Trifexis, the dog still itched, or worms were still found. In these instances, it was not clear if the given dog had the worms prior to being started on the Trifexis (and it is also possible that the type of worms found were not ones prevented by Trifexis). Likewise, I'm not sure that the few reports of continued itching was really attributable to fleas vs skin allergy, etc.

Hope this helps. One week in and I've been happy with the results on my one dog. Based off this and my research so far, I will be putting Baron on it as well. If I see any adverse affects with Baron, I'll definitely report back.

Euki

...and Baron Munchhausen! (aka "Baron", teller of tall tales, partaker of high adventure!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Euki

Euki

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

One more thingl - product safety information from the Trifexis website: :D

Serious adverse reactions have been reported following concomitant extra-label use of ivermectin with spinosad alone, one of the components of Trifexis chewable tablets.

Treatment with fewer than three monthly doses after the last exposure to mosquitoes may not provide complete heartworm prevention. Prior to administration of Trifexis, dogs should be tested for existing heartworm infection. Use with caution in breeding females. The safe use of Trifexis in breeding males has not been evaluated. Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing epilepsy.

The most common adverse reactions reported were vomiting, depression/lethargy, itching, decreased appetite, and diarrhea. To ensure heartworm prevention, observe your dog for one hour after administration. If vomiting occurs within an hour of administration, redose with another full dose. Puppies less than 14 weeks of age may experience a higher rate of vomiting.

Euki

...and Baron Munchhausen! (aka "Baron", teller of tall tales, partaker of high adventure!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 midnight2u2

midnight2u2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPlant City Florida

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

We use it for our 1.5 year old Lucky. He has been on it for 4 months with no side effects and it worked wonders on the fleas. The dropped off in about an hour after first pill.Attached File  IMG_0071cc copy.jpg   201.82KB   1 downloads

#13 PamJohnson

PamJohnson

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCorona, CA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

I just started the boys on Comfortis. After another sleepless night from the boys scratching and finding yet more fleas on them despite Frontline, flea shampoos and another application of the generic form of Frontline, I am hoping for a Comfortis miracle. I bathed them again today with their CC spectrum 10 and gave them a good conditioning, found damn fleas again and had to resort to giving them this. I hope they will do better and not have an allergic reaction like they did with Frontline. My puppies are so high maintenance! But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Pam
Mom to Baylee, Rylee and now Jack!!!

#14 Sivi

Sivi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

I was given Trifexis a few month back when I ran out of Sentinel. I gave Oscar a dose on a full stomach and he started getting very lethargic. It scared me! He was clearly not feeling well, and just lay around, which is not like him. I decided that it was the last dose of this and got heartguard from my vet. He had no problems with it and loves the taste as well.
Heartguard has been around long enough and is in my opinion a safer option. I would not be surprized if they would pull Trifexis from the market after a while. I read several times now how dogs have suffered and even died after taking this.

#15 brody's momma

brody's momma

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGresham, OR

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

I've given Brody Trifexis for 3 months now, after a meal, with no adverse effects. We travel with him for 4-6 months/year, and he is potentially exposed to many other dogs in parks where we stay in our RV, and in dog play areas. I probably wouldn't worry about heartworm in Portland area, but since we travel so much, I didn't want to take a chance. Unfortunately, I still use Frontline Plus when we are in any area with a deer population, since he picks up ticks very readily in his ears. I much preferred when I could give Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) separately with the Frontline Plus, and not double-up on the flea med. However, since production of milbemycin has halted (due to marketing issues, not safety), I've had extensive conversations with my vet (who is terrific at producing and discussing the literature), and this is the regimen we elected to use. I have no problem with others making different choices to avoid the meds, but I believe it is better to protect agonst life-threatening diseases.

mary

#16 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

BUMP

Sally

Pennie say "Hi!"
(((Oliver and Comet)))

#17 SusanK

SusanK

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Be very careful with Trifexis. Recently a friend's havanese here in CA became very sick from it. She spent days in the hospital on IV fluids and though she has been sent home, she is still a sick little girl. Her liver enzyme's are way out of whack. You can read her story on the HavaneseTalk Facebook page.
My cousin's dog is just now being released from the vet after spending several days on IV fluids after being given Trifexis. This dog was also on siezure meds and Rimadyl after ACL surgery. Both of these meds should have been a red flag.

Some have no reaction to it but others do. If you notice ANYTHING out of the ordinary after administering Trifexis, get to your vet. In additon, check the web site for warnings if your dog is on any other medications. It is contraindicated for dogs on certain meds.
McKenna & Sedona are my Havanese

#18 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Be very careful with Trifexis. Recently a friend's havanese here in CA became very sick from it. She spent days in the hospital on IV fluids and though she has been sent home, she is still a sick little girl. Her liver enzyme's are way out of whack. You can read her story on the HavaneseTalk Facebook page.
My cousin's dog is just now being released from the vet after spending several days on IV fluids after being given Trifexis. This dog was also on siezure meds and Rimadyl after ACL surgery. Both of these meds should have been a red flag.

Some have no reaction to it but others do. If you notice ANYTHING out of the ordinary after administering Trifexis, get to your vet. In additon, check the web site for warnings if your dog is on any other medications. It is contraindicated for dogs on certain meds.

Salli just joined HT and will post as soon as she is able.
Please be very careful with Trifexis and all meds.
  • Kathy from CA and SalliJames like this

Sally

Pennie say "Hi!"
(((Oliver and Comet)))

#19 SalliJames

SalliJames

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

First post from me, but a story that must be told.
Sadly, I gave my little 5 year old Havanese Trifexis. heartworm/flea prevention). That was November 6. On November 8, she vomited one time. The next week she started smelling her food and backing away. (writing off both as non related issues) I did the normal protocol of tossing out her food, and watching her. I cooked up a batch of Turkey/Carrots/mustard greens/ and added Canned pumpkin adding to her new bag of Taste of the Wild. She ate the first day and seemed normal other than a bit lethargic and some air licking.

Then came the mucus covered fecal mater. I took her off her food and gave her boiled chicken and Rice. Called the vet and she said she is healthy and otherwise must be something that didn't agree with her. As the days progressed and Thanksgiving was near, I worried as her vet might not be available and she seemed to be declining. Well, sure enough my vet wasn't in an
d the mucus was getting worse, her eating was not enthusiastic. Yet she seemed hungry, then didnt want to eat. I took her to the ER Vet, I brought in a fresh sample of Feces. They gave her a special diet food, Flagyl, and an injection of antibiotics.

The sample was negative, I called my vet and said she was declining and I was worried. We talked about it and why/what she could have been into. I told him I felt Trifexis was the only toxin! He said he had never heard of that type of reaction.
I started researching this, as she was really going down hill.

THERE were a ton of others who lost their darlings within 50 days of taking Trifexis, while others lost them after the 5th dose. It is the ones who could afford Necropsy (only two) That only showed Low thyroid. Well, sure enough, Meme's thyroid was off too.

I called him again and told him she had clear mucus and no fecal matter and had started vomiting violently. I brought her in last Wed. He gave her some things to calm her tummy, said to continue chicken and rice with canned pumpkin, he was going to call Elanco the maker of Trifexis on Monday. I called them myself on Thursday, and called the vet back and left him a message. He called me from home and they put Meme in the Hospital on IV's to flush her system.

She came home last night. She is not out of the woods. Her ALT (liver enzymes) were 455 normal is 10-100. Today they are 316.

I pray that Meme will turn this corner, it will be an expensive healing process. She is worth it. Toxic livers are hard to repair once a toxin is not caught quickly. In this case, the drug did the damage little by little each day for a month.

PLEASE be careful when you are pressured to use something that can kill your dog. This case is reported as a serious side effect to the FDA by the manufacturer and the vet. If you do have to give this to your darling, please make certain you run Chem Panels for thyroid and Liver. Watch them very closely. The slightest change could be a warning.

Pray... And be careful...

Love,
Meme and Salli

Salli, Jag, and MeMe

#20 Carol in Sonoma

Carol in Sonoma

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationSonoma

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hi again Salli. This thread has very serious content which I hope receives top visibility. I am suspicious of any medication for any creature (including humans!) which is intended to address more than one health situation at a time. Each situation needs a well-calibrated dosage for each individual, sometimes requiring trial and error. Expecting one pill to get it right for two situations on the first try is dangerous. One doctor described this kind of dual-acting drug to me as "elegant." (After a bad reaction to the drug I changed meds and doctors!) Who cares about its "elegance" to the medical and drug communities or its convenience (thank you Sally,) if it may be dangerous in any way. (Note - this post is not meant to be chastising anyone for the use of this drug - just questioning the medical profession's acceptance and support of its dual action. Please forgive my "rabid" stance here which is due to past experience with this kind of drug.) Salli, please keep us posted on Meme's health and I'm glad that you are her mom, as your experience will be so helpful for her.
  • Kathy from CA likes this

Proud Mom to Bellatak Princess Kate (Katee)

IMG_0527.jpg IMG_0226.jpg IMG_0556.jpg

With Loving Memories of Princess Luna (1996 - 2012)