Photo

Comfortis on top of Frontline Plus for fleas?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kelrobin

kelrobin

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

Jackson has been going crazy as if he had a flea recently, and he is on Frontline Plus. His last dose was last week, and this morning he went nuts and I found two bites on his belly. I use Comfortis in the winter when the ticks aren't around, but the vet said they are having a lot of dog owners using both at the same time. She said as long as it have been a few days it is safe since one is topical and the other internal. Has anyone had this issue or tried both? I trust them, but that is a lot of chemicals. I'm not 100% sure it is a flea but pretty sure since I woke up with two bites on my leg yesterday.

I remember the 3-day rule on the bathing with Frontline and did bathe Jackson two days after, but the vet said they don't like any bathing right after until the next dose. Jackson can't go 30 days!

Kathy and Jackson

"To err is human, to forgive, canine."

#2 truedat

truedat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationRaceland, LA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

I don't know how close they can have both. We quit using Frontline Plus a couple of years ago when it very obviously quit working for some reason. Ticks aren't a big problem where I live, so comfortis works fine.
kim - mom to santos, brew and sushi

Posted Image

#3 Lola's Mom

Lola's Mom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNiagara Falls, NY

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

My vet says that regardless of how long after treatment you bathe your dog, that the topicals like Frontline or Advantix wash off. So we use Comfortis year 'round alone.

Lola says, OMG!!! I love CAKE!!!!

Anne in Western New York, Lola's Humom

#4 kelrobin

kelrobin

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

We have had great luck with Comfortis, and if the Frontline isn't working anymore, I just need to ditch it and come up with a tick remedy. Ticks were awful in my yard this spring, and maybe I just need to treat the yard unless someone has other remedies.
Kathy and Jackson

"To err is human, to forgive, canine."

#5 nycali

nycali

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

I like Comfortis because Mela did not have any reactions. Good luck!

#6 Sharlene

Sharlene

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,621 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

Kathy, holding my breath as we are so close in proximity. So far (fingers crossed) I have still only been applying Frontline Plus about every 6 to 7 weeks and 2 vials shared between the 3 dogs. I hesitate to say so far no problems but you know how that goes. I'll be eating my words tomorrow.

I would love to switch to Comfortis but we do have a lot of ticks in this area so as long as it is effective I will stay with the icky topical.
Sharlene. Mom to Evye, Bentley, Taylor and Sweet Pea.

#7 Natalie

Natalie

Certified CDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

There are TONS of ticks here in Miami, especially at the dog park I take The Fluffs to. They are ONLY on Comfortis and have NEVER had a tick while on it. However, they still got ticks while on Frontline Plus!

Comfortis does protect against ticks but they are unable to advertise it because they are still in the stage of proving it through research.
Natalie, mom to "The Fluffs", Roscoe: Yup's Shot in the Dark CGC & Stella: Yup's She's a Pistol CGC, part-time mom to Maddie

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies." - Gene Hill

#8 Sandi

Sandi

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia, USA

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

There was a thread on HF with someone in Florida using both the Confortis and Frontline. I questioned using both and was assured their vet said it was safe. I had to change from Frontline as it was NOT taking care of the ticks. We have more ticks than fleas. When I’ve finished the products I have I am going to give the Confortis a try as I understand it is not labeled for ticks but seems to be keeping them off the dogs. My son’s Standard Poodle has been on it for over a year and they have not seen a flea or tick on her and they live in a more wooded area than I do.

Edited to say I cross posted with Natalie.

Edited by Sandi, 11 August 2011 - 06:45 PM.

Sandi
Loving the Journey with
My girls, Smarty and Galen

#9 Sharlene

Sharlene

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,621 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

So very good to know. I would love to stop using Frontline.
Sharlene. Mom to Evye, Bentley, Taylor and Sweet Pea.

#10 Natalie

Natalie

Certified CDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

There was a thread on HF with someone in Florida using both the Confortis and Frontline. I questioned using both and was assured their vet said it was safe. I had to change from Frontline as it was NOT taking care of the ticks. We have more ticks than fleas. When I’ve finished the products I have I am going to give the Confortis a try as I understand it is not labeled for ticks but seems to be keeping them off the dogs. My son’s Standard Poodle has been on it for over a year and they have not seen a flea or tick on her and they live in a more wooded area than I do.

Edited to say I cross posted with Natalie.

That was me! LOL. I initially was using both but after some further research I decided to see if the Comfortis alone would take care of the ticks. I've had success so I'm stickin' to it :)
Natalie, mom to "The Fluffs", Roscoe: Yup's Shot in the Dark CGC & Stella: Yup's She's a Pistol CGC, part-time mom to Maddie

#11 Hannah

Hannah

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationUSA/PI

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

I recommend you use oatmeal soap. This wonder soap will kill the fleas and keep your dog free from itch.
Money will buy a fine havanese, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

#12 Natalie

Natalie

Certified CDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

If you don't use a flea/tick medication you'll be bathing your dog every day with said oatmeal soap. Not exactly my cup of tea!!!

#13 Mom2Izzo

Mom2Izzo

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

We just switched our dogs to Trifexis a few months ago and they have done great. No fleas to speak of! We don't have a tick problem in our area so no worries about that. My dogs were previously on Comfortis and Heartguard Plus so I had to give them two pills a month. Now, they only need one. Here is the link for it:
https://www.trifexis...CookieSupport=1

#14 Ann

Ann

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

We use Sentinel which covers fleas and heartworm so they get it once a month. I HATE topicals, the feel, the smell, just ick. I was thrilled to find a pill that worked and since we've never had a tick problem things seem to be ok.

I found a tiny tick stuck in the fur of Scooter's front foot about a month ago and he had a tiny bite but it hadn't attached. He licked at the bite for about a week and then it was gone.
Ann
Scooter, Murphy, Gracie, & Teensy's Mom

Support Havanese Rescue - www.havaneserescue.com

file://localhost/Users/aadams/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2011/Apr%2024,%202011/IMG_3261.JPG