#1 nycali

nycali

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

I've read some opinions that Havanese do not have a dog smell. But others say there is an odor when the dog is wet (wet dog smell). I'd appreciate any feedback about how much a normal, healthy Havanese smells--or--not in the home.

Thank you!

#2 Kimberly

Kimberly

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern WA (& SF Bay Area part-time)

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

The only time I have had smelly dogs is when they are filthy dirty (not had a bath in over a week and then played out in the dirt or went on a hike or whatever) and then got wet. It is basically the smell of the dirt & debris on a warm, wet body that I smell.

Or, If I dog has a wet face that seems to never be dry (especially from blocked tear ducts) then the face will smell.

Other than those two scenarios, I don't think Havanese smell at all - certainly not like other shedding breeds or hound dogs (which smell because of their scent glands used for tracking).

#3 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Ditto what Kimberly said! Same here with my dogs. Those are the only times I ever 'smell' my dogs. Our house has never had that doggy smell. "Teen smell"? Well, that's another story! :scare3:
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#4 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hello.

I agree with Kim. Before I Gordo came into our life, we had no dog smell in the house. Mimi stays pretty clean inside the house and unless we had gone on a long walk with higher temperatures (which happens rarely) you could not smell her at all. Now, there is a hint of it. My mom had the nerve to tell me so. :bug:

Gordo, is a havanese/beagle mix. He smells a little. not stinky, but smells. I have to bathe him at least 2x more than I bathe Mimi. Because they are around each other it is inevitable that she gets some of his stink on her, so I give them a bath together anyway. He can come in from a good play time in the yard and you can immediately smell that distinct dog scent. That just happens to be one of his charming beagle qualities.
Elizabeth
Mimi & Gordo

www.corrocksfamily.blogspot.com
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

Oh Sorry Elizabeth! Bummer that Gordo had to get the dog smell from the beagle side!

In an answer to the OP, nope! Mine only smell if they've gone awhile 7-10 days without a bath, but it's no where near your standard type "doggy smell". The house doesn't smell like dogs...teenager well yesss!
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

I guess in all fairness I should say the Havanese don't smell! Phoebe, my Chinese Crested can get a smell in just under a week so I have to bathe her more often. It not a "doggy smell" either, but hairless Chinese Cresteds sweat so they get a sweaty smell..ewww. Big loves to the Phoebs anyways. :hug:
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

I have to agree that Havanese do not typically smell unless they are dirty, or as Kimberly mentioned, if faces are continually wet, especially in the eye area.  I do bathe my little ones once weekly, not because they particularly need it, but I like to bathe and groom for their comfort and it's actually a bonding time.
Posted Image

Pattie, Mami to RICOSuave, ChaCha, Pearlie & Ozz
LaMontaña Havanese
http://lamontanahavanese.com

#8 Missy

Missy

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

lets not forget the rolling in worms smell! LOL. I agree the dogs themselves do not smell as much as other breeds...but they are dogs and like to do doggy things...like roll in what ever it is in the grass. Like Kimberly said there is the smell from eye discharge, and of course they also don't have the sweetest breath, even if you brush weekly, and then they lick their paws with their not so sweet breath... you get it, they are still dogs.

I bathe the boys every two weeks and by the day or two before I bathe them I am so ready for my clean boys again.

ETA... I went from a dogless house to two Havanese... I don't think my house smells to others, but I do notice it... it's another living thing in your home.

Edited by Missy, 30 August 2010 - 08:06 PM.

Missy, Jasper & Cash
Posted Image
yinyang by Missy F, on Flickr

#9 Sharlene

Sharlene

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,621 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

I can't say I have ever noticed a smell to my dogs. But like others have already said, other than the eye area.
Sharlene. Mom to Evye, Bentley, Taylor and Sweet Pea.

#10 krandall

krandall

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

I bathe Kodi once a week, and everyone who touches him comments on how good he smells... Unless (as Missy mentioned) he's just rolled in:

Worm poop
Chicken poop
Deer poop
Dead fish...

You get the picture. Then he gets a bath sooner! :tongue:

Seriously, though, HE doesn't have any natural "doggy" smell to him at all. It's just his choice of perfume that I sometimes question! :lol:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Karen & Kodi (Starborn Kodak Moment RL1)

#11 Jane

Jane

Out of Control

• Moderators
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Havanese are low on the doggy-smell index. We dogsat our friend's cocker spaniel, and by the 3rd day, he was pretty smelly even though she had just bathed him before she dropped him off!

Even when my boys haven't had a bath in awhile (3 weeks), they don't stink. They have an odor, but it isn't sour or strongly unpleasant.

And their feet always seem to smell like corn chips or Fritos :tongue:
Jane
Lincoln & Scout's Mom

Posted ImagePosted Image
Lincoln & Scout (^ Photo by Carolina Cross)

#12 Beamer

Beamer

Big Time Yacker

• Administrators
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON, CANADA

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

Beamer never smells either that I can tell or anyone else for that matter. Sure if he rolls in $hit, then yeah... he smells like $hit.. lol

My house has no odor that you might find in a typical dog house. Everyone always comments that we must have just bathed beame cause he looks and smells so clean. (when in reality he has not had a bath in weeks!)

Ryan

#13 krandall

krandall

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Havanese are low on the doggy-smell index. We dogsat our friend's cocker spaniel, and by the 3rd day, he was pretty smelly even though she had just bathed him before she dropped him off!

Even when my boys haven't had a bath in awhile (3 weeks), they don't stink. They have an odor, but it isn't sour or strongly unpleasant.

And their feet always seem to smell like corn chips or Fritos :tongue:

What is it with the feet?!?! I'd forgotten about that! While Kodi's coat and BODY don't smell at all, even RIGHT after a bath, his feet smell! You only smell them if he's lying on top of you while napping, so he has them right near your face, but they have a definite (and fairly strong) odor. Not what I'd consider "doggy", but still strong.

#14 Amy

Amy

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

i agree with the previous posts. no typical doggy odor with my girl.

meanwhile, her breath can get stinky from eating chicken poop...i know, totally gross, and her beard from dragging in that too.

i've been lazy about brushing her teeth, and i've noticed her breath is starting to smell, so it may be time for me to do some more serious dental cleaning.

i recently dog sat a king charles cavalier and he reminded me why i have a non-shedding, non-smelly dog. i don't know why i even think about getting anything else. :)
Posh & Jubilee's Mom
Posted ImagePosted Image

Blog. Dog Apparel. Note Cards

#15 Lina

Lina

Kubrick and Hitchcock's Mom

• Administrators
  • 1,891 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

Definitely no smell! I am particularly sensitive to smells (got it from my mother, who is even worse than me!) and neither she nor I can smell any doggy smells coming from either the dogs or in my home. Going to my aunt's house, however, is a whole different story. She has two cocker spaniels and boy does her house smell of dog! It's actually pungent, even though she has a very clean home and bathes her dogs weekly. You just can't get that smell out! I don't think I could have a breed that smelled like that... I just can't get used to it.
Carolina a.k.a Lina
Kubrick and Hitchcock's Mom

| |

Visit Photo.Knit.Dog - blog
-----
Check out my photos
-----
Photography (pets, people, weddings) - TripleC Photography

#16 HavaTzu

HavaTzu

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationFort Lewis, WA

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

Hello.

I agree with Kim. Before I Gordo came into our life, we had no dog smell in the house. Mimi stays pretty clean inside the house and unless we had gone on a long walk with higher temperatures (which happens rarely) you could not smell her at all. Now, there is a hint of it. My mom had the nerve to tell me so. :bug:

Gordo, is a havanese/beagle mix. He smells a little. not stinky, but smells. I have to bathe him at least 2x more than I bathe Mimi. Because they are around each other it is inevitable that she gets some of his stink on her, so I give them a bath together anyway. He can come in from a good play time in the yard and you can immediately smell that distinct dog scent. That just happens to be one of his charming beagle qualities.

Oh Gordo, He ain't nothin but a hound dog......and the cutest havanese/beagle i've ever seen. Ignore your Mom, he's worth it!!
Jenn- Mom to Izzy, Fergus, Harry, and Brodie
Posted Image

#17 HavaTzu

HavaTzu

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationFort Lewis, WA

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

No doggy B.O. here! Only when they go out and get filthy:) Sometimes Izzy will get a little of a sweaty odor, but she has a real thick cottony coat and it is really only noticeable in the heat. Fergus hardly ever smells, except when he rolls in dead earthworms or wet leaves :rolleyes:
Jenn- Mom to Izzy, Fergus, Harry, and Brodie
Posted Image

#18 krandall

krandall

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

I was visiting a friend today who has several dogs, a Newfie, a Golden, a Rottie and an O-L-D Pug. I took Kodi with me, and he had a blast playing with the other dogs... But NOW he smells!!! :sick2:

#19 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Isn't it funny how we get spoiled by the little things in these dogs? Whenever I visit homes that have dogs, I'm always thankful that neither Ricky nor Sammy smell badly, shed, or drool. I was just complaining to hubby yesterday that I hated that I can't really grab/pick up my dad's Jack Russell. He's shaped like a block and there's nowhere to get a good grip! lol

Yup, I love my Neezers. :wub:
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#20 Jane

Jane

Out of Control

• Moderators
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

Absolutely, Marj. The one thing I really don't like is the breeds that have a very wet, slobbery mouth! :blink:
Jane
Lincoln & Scout's Mom

Posted ImagePosted Image
Lincoln & Scout (^ Photo by Carolina Cross)