Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Check out this wonderful site and bookmark it! :D

http://www.nomorevetbills.com/about/

No More Vet Bills:

information that can free you of dependency on the animal disease-care industry for the life of your pet.
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#2 Missy

Missy

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Interesting. Did you buy the ebook Marj?

This is a little off topic, but I have often wondered if you could just feed your dogs what you eat? Eggs, oatmeal, or yogurt for breakfast? steak, or chicken, or, pork, or fish for dinner, with a few veggies. over the long run, they would get a lot of different foods.
Missy, Jasper & Cash
Posted Image
yinyang by Missy F, on Flickr

#3 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

No, Missy, I didn't buy the e-book, but am reading the FAQ section and others with great interest. I wouldn't feed the dogs what I eat the way you put it, simply because they aren't human. They're canines and have a different need for species appropriate food. The same goes for cats. They have needs that differ from dogs so it's important to keep those in mind to be sure they get a balanced and nutritious diet. "Human" foods are good for dogs and cats, but we need to know how much, which ones, how often and in what form to feed them.

That's all! Easy, huh? ;) lol
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#4 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

I like this part that can be found in the FAQ section: "There is no basis for the argument that domestic dogs have “adapted” to the way they are fed today. Although wolf diets are exceedingly diverse and dogs have proven themselves to be supremely adaptable, normal anatomical and physiological adaptation to changes in a species’ food supply require hundreds of thousands of years, minimally. There simply hasn’t been enough time for dogs to adapt to the way they are fed today."

Not sure it's scientifically true, but it sure rings true in my mind.
Posted Image

#5 wildabouthav

wildabouthav

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Interesting that you have posted that right when I am trying to figure out the best dog food to feed my Bandit... Especially since he will be off the puppy stuff in a few months... I am always interested in learning new things..
  • Marj R.C. likes this

#6 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Missy, just wanted to let you know that I ordered the e-book and will start to read it soon. Will keep you all posted. :)
Posted Image

#7 Missy

Missy

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

Very curiuos what you think Marj. And curious what the plan is.
Missy, Jasper & Cash
Posted Image

#8 Pura Vida

Pura Vida

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationBradenton, Florida

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Really quickly reading through this site, I'm impressed and it makes tremendous sense to me. I may have written about this in another context but I remember when I first saw coyote scat. Within it were a whole bunch of seeds from desert fruits. I was surprised at that time to see that coyotes were eating that much fruit. It appeared that they just devoured that fruit and nothing else. This seems to coincide with what nomorevetbills.com is advocating. I will be quite interested to hear what you find in the ebook, Marj.
Deborah who used to be from Costa Rica
Pura Vida! Now from Florida!

#9 Debbie

Debbie

Debbie

• Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

Many of us have contacted Sabine about what to feed our dogs. I'm sure she can help you at to what is best to feed Bandit. Here is her link. She can give you several options and is not very expensive. Wishing you well.

http://betterdogcare.com/

Edited by Debbie, 22 January 2012 - 01:04 PM.

A dog's love is a reflection of God's love...it is unconditional.

#10 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

I read the e-book which isn't very long for $10, but there are concrete tips for trying this approach to feeding the dogs. Fasting on a regular basis, in her opinion, is crucial. Ricky is SO food-happy that it's impossible to miss one meal, let alone two! lol Still, I have reduced their treats due to Ricky's elimination diet and after two weeks, he no longer begs at the counter as much. Mine have never liked fruit and she recommends feeding a day of fruit once or twice/week. There are things I'll take from all of this and others that I won't necessarily, but I am happy to have read her pamphlet and to keep tabs on her website to continue learning.

What I do like about her theories, is that simple is best and one thing I have always had a bit of issue with is Sabine's and other nutritionists' recommendations for a dozen or more vitamins and supplements that need to be added to the dogs' diet. It can get expensive and complicated. Does it really need to be?
Posted Image

#11 Lilliam

Lilliam

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationDuluth, GA

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have tried to feed Shadow some bananas, and tried some apples, but seems not to like any. What other fruits are we talking about here? HELP! Also, how many eggs can we give to our Havanese? one a week, or one a month? my baby lovessssssssss eggs!

#12 Missy

Missy

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the review Marj. I found her site interesting too. I agree that too many supplements are time and money consuming and do they really need it as you say? The boys supps have been paired down to fish oil a few times a week acidophilus daily, and when I think of it a joint supplement for protection.

This is sort of what I meant when I asked above what if they just ate what we ate? Of course it would have to be based on a theory of what canines need. But if where having steak or fish and veggies for dinner, why not them too? I have a book of dog recipes called barkers grub (it may be old school now). But it basically says you can eyeball it and make it balanced... 1/2 protein, 1/4 veggies and 1/4 starch carbs. The book had supplements too...mostly calcium made from egg shells, but said if you varied the meals they would get most needed nutrition from the food. The supplements, I believe are to make up for the same food day in and day out.

It sucks to be sick and stuck on the couch. A couple of years ago, I pulled the ligament/tendon thingie on my hip and had to be on bedrest for three weeks. Absolutely awful and boring. The beasties were so confused and basically suffocated me in their anxiety. Every time I woke up, I was eyeball to eyeball with them. The reason why I woke up was because they had to do a "nose" check. the spices, and figure out the right proportions.

One of the woman at one of our pet stores i go to. says this is how she feeds her dogs. Kibble in the am and what ever the family eats in the pm. I asked her what happens if the family gets spaghetti? She said, she would go real easy on the sauce... And more meatballs than spaghetti.

Any who... Always a balancing act on what we can do, fit in, and feel good about. Thanks for posting this Marj.

Missy, Jasper & Cash
Posted Image

#13 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have tried to feed Shadow some bananas, and tried some apples, but seems not to like any. What other fruits are we talking about here? HELP! Also, how many eggs can we give to our Havanese? one a week, or one a month? my baby lovessssssssss eggs!

Lilliam, have a look at our Diet section with the subsections on Home Cooking, Commercial and Raw. There are threads in the home cooking section with recipes, or stories of what other members tried, what might work, what might not. If you have any questions, specifically about feeding fruit and dont' find what you need, please don't be shy about posting a new thread there or adding to a discussion already posted. I hope that helps! :)
Posted Image

#14 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Missy, I would not feel that the dogs are getting a balanced diet if they are eating one meal a day of something that the rest of the family is eating. Firstly, there are herbs, seasonings, sauces and veggies that a dog shouldn't be eating so it would almost mean cooking separately for them. If you're going to do that, then might as well make it geared toward their canine needs. I do agree that 1/2 protein, 1/4 carb (complex is best) and 1/4 vegetable or fruit seems balanced. There is a need for bone in my opinion, or as you mentioned, crushed egg shell, but it's important to know how much is enough. Too much, and you tax the kidneys, not enough and the dog has a deficiency.

I've cooked meals for Ricky and Sammy, but it was either with a mix that had everything in it except the meat that I added myself, or a 'stew' of sorts from recipes in books, on this site (Home Cooking section) or online. Yes, it's human grade, but it is geared towards the dogs' needs, not mine.

I don't know... I wonder if Nora Lenz's idea of 'Rotational Mono-feeding' would be easy to do and work well. It is four different types of feeding days (Fasting day, Frut day, Cooked veggie day - yam/sweet potato, and a Meat day - being a carcass of raw meat)
Posted Image

#15 Nora

Nora

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi again, Marj, and everyone,
Just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself and say I appreciate the mention of my website. I don't own a Havanese, but I do regularly care for 3 of them (I offer boarding, transitioning and fasting services in my home, among others) and think they're very special little dogs.

I launched my website about a year ago with the idea that I could help dog owners learn to care for their dogs in ways that prevent disease. Health can only be produced by healthful living, and this is true of dogs as well as humans. Symptom suppression is very popular because it doesn't require people to figure out what they're doing wrong, and it's quick, usually. But it's extremely harmful, much more so than most people realize. Symptoms are the body's way of communicating a problem, like the engine light in your car (I know that's getting to be an overused analogy, but it works :D). Can you imagine how long a mechanic would last if he suggested that you just snip the wire to the light instead of fixing the problem? That's what vets do everyday, and nobody ever calls them on it. They don't police each other, so it's up to us lay types to do it.

I started researching the real causes of disease via a philosophy known as "Natural Hygiene" about 13 years ago, and put my discoveries to work in my own life, including how I fed and cared for my dog. I had so much success (and have since had similar experiences with other dogs), that I couldn't keep it to myself any longer. If anyone is interested in learning more about Natural Hygiene, a good resource is www.RawFoodExplained.com (click on the Science of Health). The basic underlying foundation is that health is the natural, normal state of the body and that the body can return itself to a healthy state when the causes of disease are removed. I also have a website devoted to the application of these principles to human health (www.RawSchool.com).

Thanks for letting me participate here and if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Nora
www.NoMoreVetBills.com

#16 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

I wanted to link the discussion we've been having in the 'Pseudomonas' (health issues) thread here: http://havanesetalk....68-pseudomonas/ Nora joined in on that discussion in May (2012) and there is much to read and think about for anyone with pets that have health problems or for getting into raw feeding.
Posted Image