17 replies to this topic

#1 Sharlene

Sharlene

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,621 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

My never-ending battle of confusion. Please share what you use and won't use. And why.

Edited by Sharlene, 04 March 2012 - 05:43 PM.

• Tere and Susan-D like this
Sharlene. Mom to Evye, Bentley, Taylor and Sweet Pea.

#2 Debbie

Debbie

Debbie

• Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

I use Advantix for fleas and ticks and Heartgard for heartworm. The reason for the Advantix is that I never saw a tick on one of my dogs before until a couple of years ago when Jammies and I were at my friend Holly's house and we were outside and a tick landed on her while I was holding and I watched him try to bury himself into her fur. Holly's son in law got it out right away, but it freaked me out. As far as the Heartgard, I think the vets do their best to let you know that your dog can easily get it and therefore you buy the product from them. Maybe I'm wrong in what I'm doing and should do something more natural, but I am used to this way and feel comfortable with it.
A dog's love is a reflection of God's love...it is unconditional.

#3 Sharlene

Sharlene

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,621 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Right now there is a nation-wide shortage of Interceptor which I was using for HW preventative. Temporarily we are on Heartguard. HWP is not optional for me.

In my area, fleas and ticks are a given. I was using Frontline Plus which my vet objected too. I then went to Comfortis which others objected too. I kept the other 3 on Comfortis except Sweet Pea and got a separate prescription of Sentinel for her. Issues of liver toxicity arose in the ingestible forms. My vet objects to topical forms. So, where does that leave the conscience? I am open to all suggestions.

Edited by Sharlene, 04 March 2012 - 07:02 PM.

Sharlene. Mom to Evye, Bentley, Taylor and Sweet Pea.

#4 Euki

Euki

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Sharlene, I have the same concerns - most especially with my oldest dog who is now 15 and has some health problems.  I have used Interceptor, Heartguard and Heartguard Plus (HW's plus roundworms, and hookworms) and am impartial  between the three, noticing no ill affects with any of them.  The HW prevention, I give to all three of mine every month despite my eldest's health problems, and right now they are all on the regular Heartguard.

With the flea/tick medication, I've used Capstar (oral that kills all fleas within an hour but lasts for only perhaps 24 hours of protection), Frontline, Frontline Plus, and Advantix.  Right now, my two younger dogs get the Frontline, and my oldest, I do not give anything for flea control.  That said, she is not very active (goes out to potty and immediately wants to come back in).  I check her regularly for fleas but have yet to find any on her and never see her scratching.  If I were to notice a flea problem developing with her, I imagine I would just start bathing her in a flea shampoo and perhaps using a natural powder like diatomaceous earth on her coat.

I've settled on the Frontline because of the three topical applications I mentioned above, it has the least ingredients and yet it has been working great for me.  I've found ticks several times on the two younger dogs (both of which enjoy their wilderness hikes), but each time I've found ticks, they've been dead or on their way to dying, and I've never had a flea problem.  So, as long as the fipronil keeps doing a good job, I'll be sticking with the Frontline. 

My cat who is 20 years old is allergic to fleas and must have protection or he breaks out into a scabby, irritated and miserable mess.  I did not have good results with him on the Frontline Plus.  He lost all hair at the point of application and for several days after exhibited mild neurological problems.  That said, he has no adverse affects with the regular Frontline (and this is another reason why I only use the regular Frontline now on the dogs.)

I don't apply it every month and never in the colder months (I know many recommend giving flea/tick protection all year round but depending on where you live as long as you don't have a flea "problem", 1) you aren't going to have live ticks or 2) live fleas - which wont survive in temperatures lower than 40degs for more than a couple days - on your pets.  It is true these parasites live on wild animals in the winter but transfer usually takes place during a social or kill/feeding scenario where the parasite can jump onto the new host from the old host.  I'm sure I could go on defending my stance on not giving flea/tick medication during winter months as there are additional higher-risk scenarios, but my point is, that to me, being able to give the dogs a break from the fipronil and using it as sparingly as possible through the other three seasons outweighs the potential cons which can be easily and immediately addressed if they do occur.  I do a fecal and blood on all my dogs once a year and have never had a parasite related problem arise while on this regime.

I have done some research in the past on effective natural protection for fleas and ticks and have not seen anything that is truly effective like the topical pesticides.  Here is a link to two suggestions (one of which is the diatomaceous earth which I have used and is effective but you end up with a slightly powdery dog and I'm not sure what it would do to a havanese's coat as I've only used it on short haired dogs).  And I have tried but have had only mild success with garlic (oral supplementation) and no success with lavender (external powder applications), and a few of the other popularly touted "herbal" remedies.

The Frontline does a number on Baron's cottony white coat at the point of application (greasy and then tacky and knotted).  My vet tells me that three days after application, I can bathe them, which I do, but if I ever find something that works better and is more natural, I would switch in a heartbeat.

I too would love to hear what more members here are using and if anyone has had success with any of the natural products!

Euki

...and Baron Munchhausen! (aka "Baron", teller of tall tales, partaker of high adventure!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 SOX' MOM

SOX' MOM

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I use the fake frontline if needed. I also have used the diatomaceous earth, both on the dogs and their bedding. A couple times a year in the warm weather, I put some stuff in the dog ex yard (and my big dogs pens and around them) that I got a number of years ago at Home Depot for fleas and ticks. You need to put this on prior to rain, water activates it. I've found, over a number of years, any fleas we have we've brought home from a dog show, so just prior to leaving, I give a capstar. I think it only works for about 4 hours, not 24. When I bathe, I do a final rinse of ACV and water. We've not had any problem and we live in the woods
Becky

#6 Deena

Deena

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationAllenspark, Colorado

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Ok Now you all may think I am nuts. This is not advise nor fact.

I believe if I was company XYZ and I am making a product that I am telling you will keep fleas and ticks off your dog I am going to make it very strong. I will make the product very strong because if your dog does get any fleas or ticks I know you will not be buying my product ever again.

That being said.........

My dogs in general are at low risk (even fleas have the sense not to live so high in altitude with sooo much winter). If they are going to a high risk area at best...I use 1/4th of the topical dose. At most I have put it on my dogs twice in a year. Mostly I rely on diligence and natural products. But or exposure is short so I can afford to cheat a bit.

I would bet my bottom dollar that most folks could cut way back and get the same results on what ever product is working in that area and is working well with the dog.

I'm just say-en..........
feb 19-11 007.JPG

Little Guy Rumba NA, NAJ
call name, RUMBA!!!!!

#7 Rita

Rita

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

This looks interesting, I was wondering if anyone has tried it.

http://healthypets.m...ck-control.aspx
RITA

#8 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

We have quite a number of threads on this topic, so I'll just post links here for anyone who would like to read more on what our members have tried and their experiences with different treatments. :)

http://havanesetalk.... tick#entry7654

http://havanesetalk....tick#entry21733

http://havanesetalk....tick#entry30061

http://havanesetalk....tick#entry39919
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#9 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

There is this thread, by Rita, too that was posted March 25th. http://havanesetalk....ick-prevention/

Good information in all these threads, though I also struggle with this question. I don't feel obliged to treat mine like many of you do, because of where I live and the limited exposure to fleas or ticks. I count myself lucky, but I do have to find solutions for two of our cats who go outdoors.
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#10 TeodoroHavs

TeodoroHavs

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, MO

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Diatomaceous Earth aka DE (Food Grade)

Can be used both internally and externally as long as it is food grade..

Diatomaceous earth (DE) is the remains of microscopic one-celled plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans and lakes that once covered the western part of the US and other parts of the world. These deposits are mined from underwater beds or from ancient dried lake bottoms thousands of years old. This means, diatomaceous earth has an unlimited shelf life provided you keep it dry.

Food grade diatomaceous earth makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of diatomaceous earth is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When diatomaceous earth comes in contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery diatomaceous earth absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration

More facts about DE:
http://wolfcreekranc....com/defaq.html

Fleas & Ticks:
http://wolfcreekranc....com/defaq.html

Renee

Teodoro Havanese

http://www.teodorohavanese.com

rt1b9l.jpg

#11 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Renee, those links didn't work for me for some reason. Here's one I found at Wolf Creek Ranch: http://wolfcreekranc...eous_earth.html Hope it works! :)
Posted Image

#12 Euki

Euki

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Here is a relavent document I found on my computer today while cleaning up files. It's titled "Flea Control" by Susan Wynn (noted nutritionist/holistic/DVM) and discusses natural methods for use on the pet, home and yard, as well as linked resources at the end, with which you can do further research if you like. It's in word document format (linked document below is directly from Susan's website - not my computer) :D:

http://www.susanwynn...lea_Control.doc

Euki

...and Baron Munchhausen! (aka "Baron", teller of tall tales, partaker of high adventure!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 HavAntics

HavAntics

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Cant open links.

As I have been traveling a LOT between Florida, Ga, NC, and SC each seem to breed a different flea, lol. Tried Comfortis, Advantix, Frontline, and something from Banfield First Shield; nothing works for any length of time. If my dogs were just home in one place; (imagine that) answer is controlling the environment so have to just keep on trying. I was afraid to use DE as a dust on the Havs because I was afraid it was too harsh for their coats but guess now that they are naked it would be fine.

I have used DE on goldens and in the yard and actually had fleas under control as long as we didnt do a lot of traveling. Have never had a tick with Advantix but fleas well... them I just take to the lake and let them swim for a hour or so.

For HW I just use plain ole ivermectin, 0.1 cc/10lb for all my dogs.
Latcho drom

#14 Sandi

Sandi

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia, USA

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

Ok Now you all may think I am nuts. This is not advise nor fact.

I believe if I was company XYZ and I am making a product that I am telling you will keep fleas and ticks off your dog I am going to make it very strong. I will make the product very strong because if your dog does get any fleas or ticks I know you will not be buying my product ever again.

That being said.........

My dogs in general are at low risk (even fleas have the sense not to live so high in altitude with sooo much winter). If they are going to a high risk area at best...I use 1/4th of the topical dose. At most I have put it on my dogs twice in a year. Mostly I rely on diligence and natural products. But or exposure is short so I can afford to cheat a bit.

I would bet my bottom dollar that most folks could cut way back and get the same results on what ever product is working in that area and is working well with the dog.

I'm just say-en..........

I agree. In fact in the future I am going to use a 25 lb dose divided between them. I did that in the past and it worked fine. Not sure why I changed to the higher doses.

We live in tick city……no fleas to worry about but all kinds of ticks. I stopped Frontline Plus 2 years ago because it did nothing for the ticks. Last year I used Advantix II and only had dead ticks, it seems to have some form of repellent that actually kills without the tick having to bite. This year the vet highly recommended the new Certifect by Merial, I do not recommend it. Galen was lethargic for several days and had very soft stools after her treatment. Plus the girls are bringing in live ticks just about everyday. I’m ordering the DE as soon as I can figure out how to turn off my pop-up blocker.
Sandi
Loving the Journey with
My girls, Smarty and Galen

#15 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Here is another article on safe alternatives to some of the toxic flea medications out there: http://www.dogsnatur...d-tick-control/

I like the options given here and it could be helpful to some of you.
  • TeodoroHavs and SalliJames like this
Posted Image

#16 Delphine67

Delphine67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationKensington CA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Good afternoon,

We live close to a park & in the past 8 years, Yoko our sweet dog has been 100% naturally protected from flees & ticks thanks to these non toxic products. You simply add them to your beloved dog's food:

If you have an infestation at home, yes you must clean throughly your dog & his or hers bedding, plush toys .... Also, this option could be helpful. This company offers an in home natural flea treatment in various parts of the US: http://www.fleabuster.com   We use their shampoo during the flees & ticks high season as an extra protection.

May this be helpful   :D

~ Delphine 

#17 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

Merci Delphine, thank you! I think any link to products can be helpful to our members. It is up to them to decide what they want to try, but if anyone else does give these Earth Animal products a go, please give us some feedback as well. Thank you!

• Delphine67 likes this
Posted Image

#18 Delphine67

Delphine67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationKensington CA

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

You are quite welcome Marj  :D

Wishing you a lovely weekend

~ Delphine