#1 Lilly

Lilly

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

My husband was telling me that the USDA was going to start to regulate those individuals who sold puppies via the internet. He didn't elaborate much on the topic since he does not describe anything in great detail. But it made me worry about how that regulation might work against the small breeder and work for the larger puppy mills. Can those of you in the know explain to me the actual regulation that the USDA is thinking of imposing?

thanks
Lilly

Edited by Lilly, 10 March 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#2 Natalie

Natalie

Certified CDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

All I can contribute is that no responsible breeder would ever sell a puppy over the internet, so this would have ZERO effect on responsible breeders. It would regulate BYBs and brokers, who of course, get their dogs from mills.
Natalie, mom to "The Fluffs", Roscoe: Yup's Shot in the Dark CGC & Stella: Yup's She's a Pistol CGC, part-time mom to Maddie

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies." - Gene Hill

#3 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I don't know anything about it so tried to google up some information and got this for starters. http://network.bestf.../9045/news.aspx It tells about the USDA and their licensing requirements for puppy mills and give an overview of how many inspectors they have and what they look for. The article was written in 2008. They mention at the time that internet sales aren't regulated and say to " Support new legislation that will amend the Animal Welfare Act. The Puppy Uniform Protection Act (PUPS) is on the docket for the 2008-2009 session"

So perhaps your husband is speaking about some changes being made??
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

I would welcome and support any legislation that would completely ban internet puppy sales, puppy mills, BYBs and shops selling puppies or kittens. This kind of legislation will have zero impact on ethical, reputable, responsible breeders.
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#5 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Natalie, I would disagree with your comment that no reputable breeder would sell a pup online, as many great breeders do, in fact, have a website. Most will state that they have "available litters" or that so-and-so will be bred soon, so "stay tuned". I see that often. Many will do their communications via email with someone who saw their site and is interested in a dog. A lot of buyers don't go to the breeders' home to visit the dogs so it's all done via phone or email. In the end, a buyer will get a dog "sold online". Is it always a bad thing? I don't think so. We all recommend everyone check out the 'red flags' we talk a lot about and if everything falls into place, then buying this way from a reputable breeder might be quite common and okay.
  • Sharlene likes this
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#6 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

OK More researcha nd I think I am getting closer. http://tnpetlawnews....ies-online.html I think he is talking about this PUPS bill, but apparently in it's current form AKC is not in agreeance since it is too broad and non-specific and would penalize smaller responsible breeders.
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

You know, it's a double-edge sword, I think. One might want regulation, but how far does this regulation go? Where do they draw the line and for how long will that line be in place before they decide it needs to be more inclusive or limiting? I'm not saying I'm for or against this, but I think it needs to be very clear what the regulation is.

That link you posted Christy, also states: "As it is written, PUPS would also regulate anyone who sells these puppies by any means, not just over the Internet. It specifically includes anyone who “sells or offers for sale, via any means of conveyance (including the Internet, telephone, or newspaper),” so it does not just intend to regulate people who sell over the Internet."
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#8 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Marj, I see your point . I feel that unless one has done one's research well (my strong recommendation would be to read breed books, visit AKC website and the parent club of the breed online before jumping to googling "Havanese" or Golden pups or malteseor whatever one is interested in), one can't always tell the difference between the websites of "ethical, reputable" breeders and "BYB websites" if one doesn't know what to look for.

I believe HT is doing a great job at educating people about finding the reputable breeders, but the problem is that the current search engines and social media, prompt, suggest, display content, ads based on a single word / query. I see I get so many ads in the side columns of my gmail and also on some social media sites where sale of Havanese pups ads are rampant because I mention Havanese a few times somewhere in my content. The funny thing was , once I entered someone's name in google seach and it sounded like some kind of a dog breed, and lo and behold, the ads for that breed's pups for sale popped up.

The impulse to respond to popped up ads is too great for many people. In almost all cases, the ads for pups are from BYBs. So when I said I would like to see the ban on internet puppy sale, I meant ban on such sales

Edited to add content: After posting this, I read Christy and Marj's response and I agree this legislation is too broad. Well, the answer for now is interested would-be pet owners be very careful and educate, educate, educate themselves about finding ethical and reputable breeders.

Edited by Poornima, 23 March 2012 - 10:39 AM.

• Marj R.C. likes this
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#9 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

All I can contribute is that no responsible breeder would ever sell a puppy over the internet, so this would have ZERO effect on responsible breeders. It would regulate BYBs and brokers, who of course, get their dogs from mills.

WRONG!!!!

Many responsible breeders have websites. Many responsible breeders put puppy pictures on their sites, not even as an ad, but because who doesn't like puppy pictures? Sometimes they get calls that result in sales - not that the breeder will drop-and-ship a puppy, but the person is properly screened and comes to pick up a puppy from the home (driving, flying, whatnot.)

Therefore, this ABSOLUTELY 100% impacts responsible breeders who happen to have websites. WAY too broad!
  • Marj R.C. and Sharlene like this

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN BN

:clover: Clover, CDX RN NA NAJ; 1997 - 2012

sigpic8232_2.gif

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the room we can spare, and the love we can spare,
and they give us their all. It is truly the best deal man has ever made."
- Roger Caras

#10 SOX' MOM

SOX' MOM

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

When I was looking for my first Havanese, I looked at numerous web sites, looked at the dogs at the dog shows (alot, I've shown shelties since the early 70's) and talked to breeders and handlers of Havanese. When I narrowed it down to the look and temprement I felt would fit our lifestyle, I contacted the breeder via email. After exchanging a few emails, she asked me to call. We talked a couple hours and I was put on her waiting list. Because I wanted a show female, and the breeder had males or non-show females, I waited a year and a half before I got my dog and haven't regretted one minute of the wait.
Becky