#1 boomer2

boomer2

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSouth Whitley, IN

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

I am new to the forum and have a general question about life expectancy of the Havanese breed. We just lost our first havanese after only 4 years. We are awaiting our new havanese puppy from the same parents of our first. Curious to know what you experts on Havs say about that. I know some breeds may live longer that others. We don't want to have to go through the sorrow again any time soon. I know no one knows how long we will live, but curious about average.

#2 Bellatak

Bellatak

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Average life expectancy is 12-16 years old. Do you mind me asking how your 4 year old Havanese died?
Kathy
Bellatak Havanese
Bellatak Havanese
AKC Breeder of Merit
HCA Breeder of Merit

#3 boomer2

boomer2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

We don't know exactly what the final problem was, but when we brought him home from the groomer we noticed he wasn't acting right. Took him to vet and were told that his back was hurt. Groomer claims nothing happened. A couple weeks later he was running and went down. This time were told that he had torn a ligament in his left rear knee. Were giving him pain medicine while trying to get his back healed. After 2 months of this one day he started trembling one day. Our vet gay him some fluids. Didn't help and could tell he was in pain. Our vet sent us to an Orthopaedic Vet at a larger Vet facility. He said he would be ok if caged for 4-6 weeks. We took him home and he wouldn't walk and was in pain. Took him back to large vet facility ( emergency vet ). They did blood test and said liver and kidney reading were not good. Kept him overnight and next morning were told he was no better and they were afraid it was not going to be good outcome. We decided he had been through enough pain and had him "put down." Sorry for long drawn out story, but we suspect that continued us of pregnisone given by our vet for allergies caused horrible damage to him.

#4 Bellatak

Bellatak

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

With all his issues, have you talked to your breeder as to whether or not any of these things have happened to other puppies from the same sire and dam? Have you thought about getting a puppy from different parents from this same breeder?
Kathy
Bellatak Havanese
Bellatak Havanese
AKC Breeder of Merit
HCA Breeder of Merit

#5 Amanda

Amanda

is the least crazy of the CDLs :)

• Administrators
  • 3,689 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

How sad-sending hugs. I can't imagine going through that and not having answers or very varied answers. Did you get an autopsy done? I have fairly young Havanese- 7, 4 and a puppy. I hope for many more years with each of them.
Dashie, Belle, Dora, & Brisa's family
La Brisa Havanese

#6 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I have two pups from a reputable breeder. One is almost 6 years old and the other will be 5 on in couple of weeks. The life expectancy for the Havanese is 12-16 years.

I hope that you have read the pertinent forum posts regarding selecting breeders, health testing etc. I would like to urge you to make sure you verify health testing done by the breeder you have selected to know that you are getting a puppy from healthy parents and healthy breeding lines. The pups from reputable, ethical breeders are healthy, well-socialized, and you get a breeder who will be a guide and friend to you.

Good luck with your puppy. Keep us posted.
Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#7 Millie

Millie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSurprise, AZ

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

My heart goes out to you on the loss of your little one. Ours is only 4-1/2 months old and I can't even imagine the pain I would feel to lose her.

#8 Lise

Lise

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

So sorry for your loss. I also hope that you reconsider the breeder and check around. I switched breeder after my first scotty years ago when my first little guy died at only 8 years old. My second Scotty from the new breeder lived to the ripe old age of 12, which is the norm. I have switched to Havanese now for different reasons but I did alot of reearch on the breed and then got recommendations from Havanese owners and people involved in the Havanese community before committing to my breeder

#9 Leeann

Leeann

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

I am so sorry for you loss, 4 years is just too young (hugs)
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Leeann
Riley, Monte & Rumor's mom

#10 Pat

Pat

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSt Charles MO

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

I am fostering a Havanese that is to the best of my knowledge going to be 15. My Frannie was 13 when she passed-she had a heart murmur when she came into my home at 11. I agree with the others-ask for health testing-ask to see the pedigree of the dam & sire-of course that do not always mean something can't come up but if the lines have been shown to be solid then there is a great chance your "baby" will be healthy. I would wonder if something happened at the groomer's to cause an injury-of course they will not tell you it did.

So sorry for your loss-4 is just too young to go to the Bridge.
Pat (humom to)
Miss Paige
Mr Roman
Ms Tula (for now)

#11 Judith N.

Judith N.

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Luca at 10, and he had been ill since 8. It is a difficult time. I agree, check with your breeder. I wish you well.
Judy
Judy
Mom to Keefer

Posted Image
Luca
2001-2011

#12 Kathy C

Kathy C

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

So sad to loose your pet, and to not really know why is double hard... So sorry.
MOONRISE DESERT APOLO RN OA OAJ
MARIPOSA CHANTILLY LACE RN OA OAJ
BELAMOUR BLAZE OF GLORY OAP OJP

#13 Ans

Ans

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

So sorry for your loss.
I don't know if it will be right to buy a new puppy from the same parents.
I wouldn't do it.
4 Years is way too young.

Edited by Ans, 02 July 2012 - 08:38 AM.

Seasonsgreetings from Ans and Hiro

Nhiro_300_zpsab2596aa.jpg

http://hiromeinhavi.jimdo.com/

#14 boomer2

boomer2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Our hope was to get a little piece of Astro with the same parents. Maybe bad reasoning. We will call and do some more questioning of the breeder, I guess.

#15 Suzi

Suzi

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. It makes it especially hard when you really don't know what happened. You are getting really good advice about not using the same breeding stock as Astro. The injury is one thing but the liver and kidney problems at age 4 is very young. Allergies are another big reason not to use the same breeding stock. If It was me I would not take the chance of going threw the same thing again. Astro will always have a little piece of him self in your heart.

Edited by Suzi, 02 July 2012 - 10:11 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Maddie Age one by suzi1957, on Flickr Zoey 10 mo by suzi1957, on Flickr

I LOVE MY BABY'S

#16 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Clover was 15 last April and while he's had ongoing allergy issues and has had both his knees rewired (CCL), he still jumps on the sofa, has bursts of speed (well, in relativity) outside, eats with gusto, plays with toys, and is occassionally active enough to annoy the #@$! out of me. No, he does not see or hear very well (if at all), and his ability to hold it means lots of trips outside and more frequent accidents than days past, but he is still happy and really quite healthy. I have been blessed.
  • Kathy C likes this

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN

:clover: Clover, CDX RN NA NAJ; 1997 - 2012

sigpic8232_2.gif

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the room we can spare, and the love we can spare,
and they give us their all. It is truly the best deal man has ever made."
- Roger Caras

#17 Pepper's Mom

Pepper's Mom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

I am so sorry that Astro was lost to you at such a young age. It's bad enough they live only 12-16 years, but 4 is just too young. I lost my heartdog, a golden retriever, to lymphoma just two months shy of his 5th birthday. My fingers are crossed that you find a lovely, healthy pup to fill the hole in your heart.
Wanda & Pepper :)

#18 Barbara

Barbara

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I am so sorry your time with Astro was cut way too short! I would seriously consider the advice about checking into other breeders, or at least definitely not using the same breeding stock he came from. You have a good point about the Prednisone creating problems with long-term use too. I had a little Westie a long time ago with an allergy and the long-term use of Prednisone shortened his life span.

I hope you get a healthy Havanese puppy that lives a normal lifespan this time!
Barbara, Huggie & Eli's Mom
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 mamacjt

mamacjt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I cannot understand why you would want a puppy from the same parents that produced allergies in your first dog. Surely, you must know that the same ailments might plague the new pup??? If it were me, I'd surely go to a different breeder, or at least request a puppy from different parents.

#20 Ann

Ann

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

I agree with what others are suggesting about the breeder but I also wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost your beloved pup at such a young age.
Ann
Scooter, Murphy, Gracie, & Teensy's Mom

Support Havanese Rescue - www.havaneserescue.com

file://localhost/Users/aadams/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2011/Apr%2024,%202011/IMG_3261.JPG