Photo

Does your havanese run away when leash comes out for walk time?

health walk behavior

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 judye

judye

Talkative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I thought all dogs love to go on walks. Other dog owners I know say when the leash comes out, the dog goes crazy with excitement and can't wait to go on a walk. However, my havanese sees the leash and runs away and hides in a place we cannot easily reach him. This happens every single time we want to take him out for a walk. Once he is outside, he seems to be happy sniffing, marking, taking in the sights and trotting away. I am wondering if it is just that does not like the restriction of the leash itself rather than him not wanting to go on a walk.

#2 Bellatak

Bellatak

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

I would say it would depend on how he was leash trained and how fun he had through the process.
Kathy
Bellatak Havanese
Bellatak Havanese
AKC Breeder of Merit
HCA Breeder of Merit

#3 Lindafitzy

Lindafitzy

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Ireland

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi....I just wondered if you use a collar or a harness? When I started taking Daisy out when she was a pup I used a collar ......I didn't know about harnesses then. Well, she had the same reaction as your pup when she was in the collar, it was awful because she used to tremble as well. I went to our vet and asked them for advice and they recommended a 'puppy kind harness' which is also 'non pull' ( if your pup is pulling). I still use it, she's so used to it now I only have to hold it at her height and she steps into it! Maybe you could try one, there are lot's of different ones about and I think there is a thread on the forum about harnesses that I found later!
Good Luck!
  • Judith N. likes this

#4 Amanda

Amanda

is the least crazy of the CDLs :)

• Administrators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have 3 dogs that lose their mind when they see the retractable (my preference for my neighborhood) and then I have Dora. She simply hates going for walks. We have taken treats, other dogs, her favorite toys, etc. I always joke that if you see us walking Dora you probably think we are stealing someone's dog. We live on a cul de sac and until we get out of it, I pretty much have to drag her. In fact, if my husband goes, he usually carries her. The only time she gets truly happy and remotely looks like one of the others is when we say house when we are on our way home. My thoughts on Dora is that she doesn't have the best front and she probably has been in pain before on a walk so has negative associations with it. She has been to the vet and he thinks she is fine and already thinks I am crazy. That being said it is still good to take Dora on walks and we try to take her on short walks. Meanwhile I have the 11 year old maltese with a bad patella who will walk until she vomits. We have cut her down to about 3-3.5 miles (depending on the route) when we take her now.

P.S. If you take Dora out to the garage, she jumps at her dog stroller!
  • Lindafitzy likes this
Dashie, Belle, Dora, & Brisa's family
La Brisa Havanese

#5 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,964 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

LOL at Dora !

My two also go nuts when they hear or see the leashes. We can't even say the word 'walk' and have to say "Who's taking the D's for a W?" I'm not kidding! LOL They know the words 'dogs' and 'the boys'. Crazy, but fun. :)
  • Sally and Joe Pat like this
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#6 Ann

Ann

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Mine go crazy when the leashes come out! They all love walks except for Gracie. We go out through the garage and she stands next to the car waiting to get in for a ride, she isn't interested in going for a walk. She'll go but if we pass by our street, we live on the corner, she'll pull to go home. If the stroller is open in the garage she'd much rather be in there for the walk than down walking with the others. She has hip problems so, like Amanda, I wonder is walking more than a little way is just uncomfortable for her.
Ann
Scooter, Murphy, Gracie, & Teensy's Mom

Support Havanese Rescue - www.havaneserescue.com

file://localhost/Users/aadams/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2011/Apr%2024,%202011/IMG_3261.JPG

#7 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

LOL at Dora !

My two also go nuts when they hear or see the leashes. We can't even say the word 'walk' and have to say "Who's taking the D's for a W?" I'm not kidding! LOL They know the words 'dogs' and 'the boys'. Crazy, but fun. :D

Same at our house.
  • SalliJames likes this

Sally

4903521534_046a526147_m.jpg7559416582_8c4cd1fc85_m.jpg

8193599471_121b9b4c4a_m.jpg9227403770_2f4d3fee4c_m.jpg

Pennie say "Hi!"
"Love to the fullest for as long as you have the opportunity." by Sharlene
(((Oliver and Comet)))
Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts
We are blessed with love,laughter,friendship and havanese.

#8 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

LOL I forgot to add----
if I only take one havanese out on the leash-----I hear about it from the other havanese :shout:
  • Barbara, JoAnn, Joe Pat and 1 other like this

Sally

4903521534_046a526147_m.jpg7559416582_8c4cd1fc85_m.jpg

8193599471_121b9b4c4a_m.jpg9227403770_2f4d3fee4c_m.jpg

Pennie say "Hi!"
"Love to the fullest for as long as you have the opportunity." by Sharlene
(((Oliver and Comet)))
Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts
We are blessed with love,laughter,friendship and havanese.

#9 judye

judye

Talkative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Lindafitzy, He reacts the same whether it is a harness or collar.

He is only 8 mo so no pain or hip issues. He is very curious and loves to sniff and explore everything. Oh well, it will remain a mystery :-)

#10 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Two of mine go absolutely crazy, Phoebe attempting to slide into the collar even if you are trying to put it on someone else! Marley kennels. If I tell him to come get a leash on he comes along happily and enjoys a walk but he doesn't jump all over me like the other two.

Mine seems to have it figured out even before I get a leash out that somethings' up and they will follow me around watching and getting antsy.

Now that you mention it though..Rufus used to go the other way. He would circle the room avoiding me and get under tables or behind things when he was that age. He enjoyed walks just as much then too but I don't think he liked getting the collar on. He's always been one to try and initiate chase me games. Once I caught on and stopped chasing him around trying to put on a collar was the beginning of the changearound for him. It took a few times of me getting a collar and planning to take him and then changing dogs when he didn't come willingly. If he ran off, I just chose a different dog to take walking and he missed his turn. He caught on after awhile and stopped being so difficult about it.
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 JoAnn

JoAnn

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I have three and two of them go crazy when the leashes come out. My boy Luke however, runs and hides under the desk. I got him when he was seven months old and he is a very shy dog - the world is a scary place to him. Once he is on the walk, he enjoys it - tail up and smiling on the way. He's afraid of new things and when the leashes come out he starts worrying. He doesn't know where we are going but he knows he is leaving the comfort of his house and yard. He used to get carsick and I think it was due to his nervous stomach (he pukes when he gets upset). Now he is able to ride in the car without getting sick, but when its time to leave he is not the one running to the door to get ready.

We've tried to make him more comfortable by bringing the leash out and feed treats, get his harness and sit on the ground with treats for him if he comes to us instead of hiding - for him he needs really high value treats for him to willingly get ready. Once he gets his collar and harness on we throw a party "Yay Luke, good boy!" Treat, Treat, Treat and lots of positive praise. It has helped, but slow and consistent wins the race and I doubt that he will ever get as excited as his sisters for the walk.
JoAnn
Mom to Luke, Leela & Roxy too...livin' the life in the Pacific NW

Posted Image

#12 mellowbo

mellowbo

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

All four of mine go crazy jumping and screaming and flipping all over the place. They love walks! For me, um, not so much, unless I could go alone, lol.
  • SalliJames likes this
Carole
Vinny, Lulu, Gabby girl and Richie rich!!!

#13 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Mimi will run away if I take the leash out and call her. She just retracts to either her crate or under a table... Once I can get her, though, she's okay and will happily walk out with me.

Gordo on the other hand, goes nuts!! He loves walks. I can't grab the leash or harness before he starts jumping, getting ready to go out the door. I have to either crate him while I get Mimi ready or have DH distract him before we are almost ready to leave. And yes, he also knows the word "walk"!
Elizabeth
Mimi & Gordo

www.corrocksfamily.blogspot.com
Posted Image Posted Image

#14 midnight2u2

midnight2u2

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPlant City Florida

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

When I drop the metal end of the leash to the floor my dog lucky comes a runnin. I also have a set of bells next to the door that I can hit with the same effect every time we go out the door I ring the bells. He has started to hit the bells when he needs to go out. I use a 23foot leash that he likes because I can't walk very well and he gets to run. I can't just let him go because he can take off in the blink of an eye if something gets his attention.

Attached Files

Edited by midnight2u2, 01 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#15 samson's mom

samson's mom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

@Marj - LOL - Hilarious, it's the same at my house. And forget it if we accidentally say the word walk in a random sentence. It's the same with the carrier we use in the car. I have to take it out when we are completely ready to go and then throw it across the room because he'll be jumping me and trying to pull it down to get into it. Then he RUNS into it happily and waits for me to zip it. No problems ever getting him to go out or get in the carrier. But he does love his walks and every weekend we take him out somewhere, either a soccer game or the Farmer's Market, all things he loves to do and both helps socialize him, tire him, and he associates the carrier/leash with wonderful things. We also do use a harness rather than collar. We feel kind of silly spelling things out because of how smart our dog is though! Ahh, the joys of being a Havanese parent. How old was your dog when you got him? He may have had unpleasant experiences early in life that left him with some anxiety. They are a very sensitive breed.

#16 ricolove

ricolove

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Rico thought it was a game, see how long it would take before we could catch him, it used to drive me nuts. Paz just sits and waits, he is much better about it.

---Alisha and Paz---

12282782103_c36dcbd58c_m.jpg12283011646_742d5554e3_m.jpg

#17 SOX' MOM

SOX' MOM

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Most of mine love walks, one even cries and goes bonkers if she doesn't get to go. I do have one, however, if he's not in the mood, and often not in the mood, hides under a bed in the guest room far enough back I couldn't reach him if I wanted. I'm not going to get a broom and chase him out, he just misses the walk. Other times he's as eager as the others, who knows?
Becky

#18 Dakota Mom

Dakota Mom

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHuntington Beach CA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

My Dakota has not liked walks since he was old enough to go outside. I have tried three different harnesses, collars, long leashes, short ones, varying the route, taking treats along, etc. The only time he likes it is when we turn around to go home. Lately my ten year old grandson has been here with his skateboard and he picks him up and holds him til he has gone a couple of blocks from the house, then he puts him down and says "lets go home" and the dog hightails it home in a burst of energy that he seems to love. I do not get it. I have had 13 dogs in my life, and this one has been the most challenging by a mile. He also does not care if he eats or not...will chew anything -- anything -- on the floor, and in general needs constant supervision. Not my favorite dog.

#19 Ann

Ann

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

How old is Dakota? None of mine chew on things they shouldn't anymore but they always have lots of things available to play with and chew on.

Ann
Scooter, Murphy, Gracie, & Teensy's Mom

Support Havanese Rescue - www.havaneserescue.com

file://localhost/Users/aadams/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2011/Apr%2024,%202011/IMG_3261.JPG

#20 Amanda

Amanda

is the least crazy of the CDLs :)

• Administrators
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Sorry to hear about Dakotah's issues.  Is he an only dog? And I also wonder about his age.  I have been fortunate with only one chewer who happens to be my dog who doesn't like to walk.  She went thru a year stage that she would chew anything and everything even with plenty of chew toys.  Reality is if I couldn't watch her, I should have kept her in her crate.  It took me a few dogs to learn this :)

I have one that really hates walks.  She will hide if she sees a leash.  We usually take her outside, then get the leash.  I know exactly what you are talking about with turning around to go home, she peps right up.  Meanwhile the other 3 are jumping and barking wanting to be chosen.  Sigh, I have pretty much given up and just force her on walks every other day.

Dashie, Belle, Dora, & Brisa's family
La Brisa Havanese

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: health, walk, behavior