#1 Meljoy56

Meljoy56

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationcentral new jersey

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hi! I'm a new member.  I joined because I am very concerned about my 2 1/2 year old Havanese, Boomer.  Boomer had cataract surgery when he turned 1 year old.  He had his vision up to 6 months ago and is now permanently blind.  His right eye swelled shut and when it opened it was filled with blood.  It seems the pressure in his eyes is dangerously high and he is in considerable pain.  He is suffering everyday from the pain, he is 2 1/2 and sleeps, growls, bites and isn't very happy.  He has been on pain meds, since Friday and meds to reduce the pressure.  This is a vicious cycle that will continue to repeat.  The Dr strongly suggested that we get his eyes removed to alleviate the pain once and for all.  On Oct 3, he is scheduled to have both eyes removed.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?  I am so concerned, that once his eyes are gone, I won't feel anything towards him.  I am so freaked out by this.  Your yes are the windows to your soul, so if you have no eyes how do you see his soul?

I appreciate any advise.

Thank you

#2 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

I am so sorry.  I know this has to really hurt your heart.  I haven't been through this myself but have had a blind parrot and have been through a dog going blind as well.  They do amazingly well so no huge worries there.  Don't change the furniture around, try to be consistent in what you do and how you do it.

I've watched others go through this on Chinese Crested forums since they are a breed that can have eye troubles.  My Phoebe already has mild cataracts and although they are currently not causing a problem I will have to keep a watch on things.  Cataract surgery is expensive.  Once they have cataracts they can develop glaucoma and that can be painful.  Sometimes you can use glaucoma medicine to try and control the pressure in the eye but it doesn't always work well and it is also expensive.  So, the next move is to remove the eye.  Of course it is scary and it's hard to look at right after the surgery, but on the dogs I have seen it really wasn't bad once healed.  Your dog will be out of pain and we are blessed with a breed that can go all flopsy mopsy with the hairdo so it need never be that noticeable.

A friend of mine with a Chinese Crested --her dog had one eye removed and she was blessed that it was on the side his hair naturally fell.  No one ever noticed.  

Personally I would not hesitate to have it done.  

When I first looked at getting a small dog, I thought the one thing I could definitely NOT ever accept would be a dog with missing teeth and a tongue hanging out.  Then I fostered a little old lady Chinese Crested dog missing most her teeth and a tongue that did indeed slide out of her mouth at times.  I fell completely in love with her, adopted her and was lucky enough to be loved by her for a year and a half before she passed on.

The heart is an amazing thing!  ♥

• Sheri, Julie, Carol in Sonoma and 2 others like this
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 tra_po

tra_po

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

I have not been through this but my prayers are with your sweet Boomer. I, too, would not hesitate to have the surgery to remove his eyes. :( 

Traci & Ludo

*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~**~*~*~**~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~~*

The dog becomes your dream come true, the very thing you wanted. 

- Maurice Sendack 

#4 Amanda

Amanda

is the least crazy of the CDLs :)

• Administrators
  • 3,666 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

My in laws had a shih tzu from a backyard breeder that went through the same thing.  They knew early on, he had eye issues and Freddie was on drops and medication but it didn't work.  She was taking him to the eye doctor all the time.  They happen to be very close to a top vet school but nothing could save his eyes.  While he didn't have eyes, he was still the same little dog.Freddie still loved to jump and give kisses! In between having the two eyes removed when he only had one, Freddie didn't have depth perception and one Christmas, he gave me a crazy bloody lip that was so swollen.  I was shocked at how well Freddie got around after both surgeries.  He did have issues if there wasn't another dog to follow.  But he knew his house very well.  He just had issues when he came to stay at our house and he wasn't familiar.  Honestly, he was still a happy dog.  He had plenty of other conditions as well but the blindness didn't make him any different.  Well my mother in law giggled that at least he would finally quit chasing the cats :)

Sending you hugs.

• Sheri and SalliJames like this
Posted Image
Dashie, Belle, Dora, & Brisa's family

#5 RonM

RonM

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

I know this must be horrible for you, and I am sorry you and Boomer are going through this. I was just reading an article recently about something very similar. The pressure causing pain and necessitating the removal or the eyes. What they did in that case was to insert silicone implants in place of the eyes. The dog was still blind, but the implants maintained the shape of the eyes and the dog was pain free.

That might be something you would want to discuss with your regular vet or a veterinary opthomologist.

Good luck.

Ron

• SalliJames likes this

Ron (and Colbie)

#6 SalliJames

SalliJames

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I am so sorry.  What did the breeder say?  They sure need to know. 

Glad you are removing the eye/s.  Pain is worse than blindness.  Very hard to watch them suffer.

My best to you,

Salli and MeMe

Salli, Jag, and MeMe

#7 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Meljoy, I am sorry that it's something as heartbreaking as this that has led you to us, but I hope you know we are here to support you. My ex-boss Springer Spaniel had the same issues and had one eye removed due to pressure and pain, then the other one a year later. Odie is still Odie and they trained him to sound and commands and he handles himself very well. I would strongly urge you to get the eyes removed asap as the pain is quite difficult and is affecting your Havanese's temperament. The poor guy ! :(

You are worried about losing feelings for him. I can't tell you how to feel, or how you will once Boomer is out of surgery, but if you love your dog, then you love your dog. No amount of physical changes would change that for me. I am not passing judgement, but trying to reassure you that not only will Boomer still be your beloved pet, he will likely be a happier boy and you might even find new things about him to love. Please keep positive! Hang in there and do keep us posted.

• WaitingForWicket likes this
Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#8 Kathy C

Kathy C

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Oh wow, so sad! I don't have any experience with eye issues, but my Apolo is Deaf, and I pray he never looses his eyesight!
MOONRISE DESERT APOLO RN OA OAJ
MARIPOSA CHANTILLY LACE RN OA OAJ
BELAMOUR BLAZE OF GLORY OAP OJP

#9 Leeann

Leeann

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Sorry to hear you are going through this with your little guy, it has to be so hard but remember dogs adapt a lot faster than we do so it will be harder on you than on him. ((Hugs))  keep us updated on his progress.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Leeann
Riley, Monte & Rumor's mom

#10 Marj R.C.

Marj R.C.

Out of Control

• Members
  • 6,930 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

Good morning,

I was wondering how you are dealing with things? We are here to support you and encourage you, so please do not hesitate to write and let us know how you and Boomer are. :)

Posted Image

Mom to Ricky (my big teddy havanese - d.o.b. July 14, 2006) and Sammy (my funny, little Prince - d.o.b. Aug. 2, 2006)

#11 Ditto-Phoenix

Ditto-Phoenix

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

How are you and Boomer doing?

Linda- Ditto and Phoenix's Mom

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blind, cataracts, puppy, lost sight