#1 BuzzysMom

BuzzysMom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSouthington, CT

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

I got an e-mail back saying she had 2 puppies returned that are just about a year old (I think due to illness). I am not sure if they do health testing and what the whole story on these pups are, but I was wondering if anyone heard of them or knows anything about them? The pups sure are cute, but I don't want to waste her (Diane, the breeder) or my time if this breeder isn't OK.
Thanks!

Also, the little guy I was supposed to go see this weekend has a minor ACL tear that happened over last weekend. The breeder called me yesterday to tell me and said she understood if I don't want to see him. I think I still do, but does anyone have any thoughts on this- he isn't even 2 yet.

#2 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hmmm, I don't know anything about this breeder personally, but I did take a peek at their website. I can only speak for myself--but I would not buy from them. I do not like the 50% NON-refundable deposit...that's alot and NON-refundable? Also in looking at the contract, they only replace your dog if it is proven (beyond a doubt) to have any problems...they will not help pay vet bills in the event of an inherited or congenital condition. The contract protects her very well, but doesn't protect the interests of the buyer at all IMO.

Puleese, no one returns a dog once they have it and fall in love with it. Hmmmm or maybe they do? Maybe that is why she has two dogs at a year old? I would be leary of her.

I don't know much about ACL problems. Is this something that will require surgery? Will she be taking care of that?
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 BuzzysMom

BuzzysMom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. I will call Blossom later to get more info, but I am thinking the dogs are too young for me anyway- they aren't even a year yet.

The breeder that has the dog with the ACL tear is currently treating him. She didn't want to put him under for X-Rays, but I will talk to her more about it since he will still have to be neutered. The vet is saying that he doesn't think he will need surgery, but you never know. I am still going to see him on Sunday and my friend is going with me that is a vet, so that worked out perfectly. I am so surprised that I am having such a hard time finding a decent adult dog within a 5 hour drive!

#4 truedat

truedat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
  • LocationRaceland, LA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

I would be very leery. Are the returned pups sick, or the families they were returned from? The one thing that caught my eye on the website is "champion lines" and the claim that the puppies are either from champion lines or champion sired, but with no info about health testing...and no registered names which makes it harder to look up on the CHIC site. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I learned a hard lesson the hard way, and I wouldn't ever want to see someone else do the same.
kim - mom to santos, brew and sushi

Posted Image

#5 BuzzysMom

BuzzysMom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the advice- I spoke to the breeder, and she seemed nice enough but she told me she would bring the dogs to me (over a 2 hour drive). :hmm: I think this is a HUGE red flag (why don't you want me to come to your house to see them?) I could understand if I was definitely taking them and she wanted to see how I live to see where her baby is going, but it doesn't sound right. :no: My search for the perfect dog (for us) continues....

#6 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

I agree, that's just one more red flag! I think you're making a wise choice to pass on that one. The right dog will come along. They always do!
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Leeann

Leeann

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

I was seeing red flags also so am glad you looked into it more and have decided against them.

As for the torn ACL I don't know much about that either but you can do plenty of internet research and it wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask their opinion as well.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Leeann
Riley, Monte & Rumor's mom

#8 Janet Hicks

Janet Hicks

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationDolores Colorado

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

ACL surgery is thousand of dollars and usually within 2 years the other leg requires surgery. Even if she agreed to pay it, what if she wouldn't when the time came? I'd pass on this dog. And not wanting to "put him under for xrays" ? what the heck? They are painless and quick and don't require anesthesia.

No where on her site does she talk about health testing. No where does she even mention the AKC registered names of her adult dogs. And her contract stinks.

Walk away.

Just my opinion! =)
Janet Hicks
Dolores Colorado

#9 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

ACL surgery is thousand of dollars and usually within 2 years the other leg requires surgery. Even if she agreed to pay it, what if she wouldn't when the time came? I'd pass on this dog. And not wanting to "put him under for xrays" ? what the heck? They are painless and quick and don't require anesthesia.

YEP! Clover had a small tear 5+ years ago (agility) that blew out all together last December - $1200 - and this past July the other ligament went (they often do as they carry the extra weight as the first one heals) - yep another $1200. He is doing great now, but my credit cards at not!

Attached File  100_0316.JPG   142.88KB   1 downloads

Smaller, partial tears can heal on their own, but usually the ligament deteriorates and they eventually end up rupturing a need a repair. And Xrays of the knee shouldn't require anesthesia for most dogs. In fact, CCL (in dogs its called Cranial instead of Anterior, but same ligament) can be diagnosed without Xrays in some cases.

Anyway, you've gotten good advice about the other red flags here. Just throwing in on the CCL repairs ;-)

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN

:clover: Clover, CDX RN NA NAJ; 1997 - 2012

sigpic8232_2.gif

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the room we can spare, and the love we can spare,
and they give us their all. It is truly the best deal man has ever made."
- Roger Caras

#10 BuzzysMom

BuzzysMom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for the help and advice everyone- Blossom havanese e-mailed me and said she decided not to split the 2 boys up, so I am not going to see them (it's amazing how things work out).
I misspoke about the little guy with the ACL tear- he had an X-Ray, and they said it was a minor tear that should heal on it's own and he will go back for more X-Rays in a month to see his progress. This little guy is from a VERY reputable breeder and handler so I am glad she called me when it happened and she was very up front and honest about it all. I am not so sure what my plan from here is now (I think I am still hoping a rescue will come through and work out for us).
In the meantime, I am actively searching but patiently waiting (OK, not so patiently) :)