#1 Gizmo'sMom

Gizmo'sMom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPort Jefferson Station

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

I want to get something to fence in my Christmas Tree so Gizmo can't get to the tree. I was going to get an ex pen to surround it but was wondering if there is anything more festive made to put around it. My parents have something you put infront of a fireplace that has like stained glass (not real glass) christmas scenes on it. I was trying to find something like that but to go all the way around the tree.

#2 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Members
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

I haven't seen anything like you're describing but it sounds nice! If you find one be sure to take pictures and post them here!

I've used an ex-pen in the past. My tree goes in a corner and the pen fits nicely around it. I like that the pen isn't really that noticeable, it's just a simple wire one. I only used it the first couple years. I can't remember using it last year. I think they've grown past the danger point.
Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
Posted Image

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

I haven't seen anything like you're describing but it sounds nice! If you find one be sure to take pictures and post them here!

I've used an ex-pen in the past. My tree goes in a corner and the pen fits nicely around it. I like that the pen isn't really that noticeable, it's just a simple wire one. I only used it the first couple years. I can't remember using it last year. I think they've grown past the danger point.

I agree Christy. The xpen is suppose to keep the dog away from the tree. I think a fancier "fence" might draw the dogs attention to it and the tree.
However my neighbor always has a big green tree and had the xpen spray painted green. You hardly see it.

Sally

4903521534_046a526147_m.jpg7559416582_8c4cd1fc85_m.jpg

8193599471_121b9b4c4a_m.jpg9227403770_2f4d3fee4c_m.jpg

Pennie say "Hi!"
"Love to the fullest for as long as you have the opportunity." by Sharlene
(((Oliver and Comet)))
Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts
We are blessed with love,laughter,friendship and havanese.

#4 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

PS-I do have a "decorative" snowman fence I put up by the fireplace.
The guy that made it asked "if I was going to use it to keep my dogs away from the tree." I said "NO but why did you ask?" He said"Xpens are the only way to do that!"
I wouldn't use it to protect the tree but it looks cute. I got it at a craft fair last year

Attached Files

Sally

Pennie say "Hi!"
(((Oliver and Comet)))

#5 Gizmo'sMom

Gizmo'sMom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationPort Jefferson Station

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

That's odd I wonder why he said that. Yes that looks kinda like the one my parents have.

Gizmo is scared of it actually, she always gives it a wide birth when walking past...I have no idea why.

#6 Ans

Ans

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

At any home improvement store or carpet shop, you can get this vinyl carpet protector:
http://convention.is.../show08/Data/E…
As you can see, the bottom has little plastic spikes. Dogs and cats won't step on this stuff.
You can buy it in already cut rolls, or off the spool, by the foot.
You just put it around your tree, upside down, with the spikes up..

Seasonsgreetings from Ans and Hiro

Nhiro_300_zpsab2596aa.jpg

http://hiromeinhavi.jimdo.com/

#7 Sally

Sally

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

That's odd I wonder why he said that. Yes that looks kinda like the one my parents have.

Gizmo is scared of it actually, she always gives it a wide birth when walking past...I have no idea why.

That one is all metal..............

Sally

Pennie say "Hi!"
(((Oliver and Comet)))

#8 Leeann

Leeann

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

what about using a little white picket fence, kind of like this one?

Attached File  Feather-Tree-Picket-Fence-HTOURS1206-de_thumb4.jpg   200.54KB   1 downloads
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Leeann
Riley, Monte & Rumor's mom

#9 Ann

Ann

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'm gonna use the spiky stuff Ans mentioned, to keep the kids away, not the dogs!!!!

Posted Image
Ann
Scooter, Murphy, Gracie, & Teensy's Mom

Support Havanese Rescue - www.havaneserescue.com

file://localhost/Users/aadams/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2011/Apr%2024,%202011/IMG_3261.JPG

#10 Natalie

Natalie

Certified CDL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:01 AM

Leeann, my mom made a fence very similar to that to keep Maddie away from the tree when she was a puppy! Worked like a charm and looks cute, too. It cost her under $15 to buy the supplies at Home Depot!
Natalie, mom to "The Fluffs", Roscoe: Yup's Shot in the Dark CGC & Stella: Yup's She's a Pistol CGC, part-time mom to Maddie

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies." - Gene Hill

#11 krandall

krandall

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

We use an ex-pen too. I THOUGHT we might be able to get away without it this year, because Kodi pretty much ignored the tree after it was set up, but before we decorated it. Once the ornaments were on it, though... it became irresistible, and the ex-pen had to go up again. Maybe next year! :yes:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Karen & Kodi (Starborn Kodak Moment RL1)

#12 Brooke&Colby

Brooke&Colby

Talkative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWalnut Creek, CA

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

This is probably too late of a reply for this year but maybe you'd like the idea for next year...

We get a little shorter tree than we would normally and we put it on a table that is about 18" high. The dogs can still reach it to sniff kinda but they don't pull on it. We were more worried about them hiking their legs on it!

#13 Barbara

Barbara

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image No fences here. Huggie was very interested in the tree at first and he did take a couple ornaments off the bottom, thinking they must be toys so what were they doing in a treee! :rolleyes: Now he pretty much ignores it.
Barbara, Huggie & Eli's Mom
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image