#61 rikidaisydixie

rikidaisydixie

Havanese Lifestyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationSouth Bay area Los Angeles

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Dixie gets her cast off and the stitches out on Thursday if all goes well.
Linda
Riki, Daisy, and Dixie Belle

I didn't just get havanese, I got a lifestyle!
Support Havanese Rescue!

#62 rikidaisydixie

rikidaisydixie

Havanese Lifestyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

So two weeks plus after surgery...Dixie will still stay in her cast for one more week...which is actually good news! The vet says he is keeping it on because she is doing so well!

What a monkey. The first few days were easy as she was "drugged" up...but ever since it has been a challenge to keep four on the floor. I have been sleeping on the floor next to her for this time...and maybe it is even good for my back! LOL

The TPLO surgery would have been $3,800. Since she is older, he suggested we do the ACL Surgery only...which would have been $2,800. He heard my prayers and Dixie's stories, so I ended up paying $365 for the initial testing, and another $1,800 for reduced fee surgery. I have been blessed by several folks who made donations for art and for Dixie.

The biggest challenge other than keeping her calm is the matting situation. Having a wrap around cast on a long haired dog is hard. But she will be a half lowchen when she is free of that cast next week. The first week, all you could see was pink skin, the next week mostly the sable black came in, and this week the cremes are coming in.

Stitches, staples, and cast will have to stay one more week. But again, that means she is healing really well. Thank goodness!

I don't know what I would have done without the support of my friends regarding this decision!

Attached Files

Linda

Support Havanese Rescue!

#63 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

But she will be a half lowchen when she is free of that cast next week.

Yep!

Posted Image

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN

:clover: Clover, CDX RN NA NAJ; 1997 - 2012

sigpic8232_2.gif

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the room we can spare, and the love we can spare,
and they give us their all. It is truly the best deal man has ever made."
- Roger Caras

#64 Ditto-Phoenix

Ditto-Phoenix

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

:jumping2: :jumping2: We are thrilled to hear Dixie is doing so well.
Keeping her calm and the matting are challenging for sure, I know the feeling. The best news is you can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :yahoo:
Linda- Ditto and Phoenix's Mom

Posted Image

#65 rikidaisydixie

rikidaisydixie

Havanese Lifestyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:15 AM

Oh my gosh, Clover had it on the same leg, with the same foreleg area shaved for the iv! Oh goodness! Is that what the stiches will look like once the cast is off...wow!

How long did it take Clover to fully recover?
Linda

Support Havanese Rescue!

#66 Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Pattie_LaMontana Havanese

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

I think she's saying, "Don't look at my nekked leg!" Glad Dixie is doing so well. Keep it up, girl.
Posted Image

Pattie, Mami to RICOSuave, ChaCha, Pearlie & Ozz
LaMontaƱa Havanese
http://lamontanahavanese.com

#67 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

Oh my gosh, Clover had it on the same leg, with the same foreleg area shaved for the iv! Oh goodness! Is that what the stiches will look like once the cast is off...wow!

How long did it take Clover to fully recover?

For that surgery, Clover was in the cast for about two weeks (I want to stay between 10 and 14 days... I don't really remember) and had the stitches out at the same time the cast came off. What you can see is mostly a scab over it that was gone in a day or two.

When they had to do the other knee (unfortunately about 7 months later that one went) he didn't get a cast at all! I was terrified. I asked why and the surgeon said he'd not seen real proof they they did better with or without a cast so would do it as "accident insurance" the first time but figured you knew what you were doing the second. YIKES!! His second recovery was easier, but there were other factors too (waited less time, was able to swim rehab him, etc) so don't know if the cast made a difference. It was REALLY nice not to have to fight with him about the stitches when he had a cast covering them, though.

I think after about 3 months I didn't worry about it much anymore, and after 6 months I rarely even thought about it anymore. If he's been very active, he has a little limp in his leg I waited longer for the surgery on, but he's also 14! He is almost a year from the second surgery (1.5 from first) and runs around outside, jumps on the sofa, everything. It was an agonizing decision to make both times but obviously the right one for him!

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN

sigpic8232_2.gif

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the room we can spare, and the love we can spare,
- Roger Caras

#68 rikidaisydixie

rikidaisydixie

Havanese Lifestyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

Wow Kat, what a generous and loving thing to do for a senior dog...but you love him...what else can you do?
Linda

Support Havanese Rescue!

#69 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

Wow Kat, what a generous and loving thing to do for a senior dog...but you love him...what else can you do?

Yes... the first one was more a decision if the surgery would be the right thing for the knee... the second one was worse. I actually watched him do it - run towards me, bobble, and come up limping in a way I instantly knew what happened. I literally held him and sobbed and told him I was sorry all night because I was just not sure if I could ask him to go through it again - if I was too selfish of me to put him through it all again, if I had all ready taken my chance putting him under once at his age (although his blood screenings were fine), if the first knee could even support him through the surgery... it was really a choice I would not wish on anyone.

Ultimately, my vet asked me: other than the knee, is he healthy and happy? if you can get the money and pay it back, is he worth that trouble? They were worded less bluntly, but, that's what it came down to, and the answer was yes to both.

I put together my blog of his recovery and raised a a little bit of money that way, otherwise, still paying it off. But I've had him so long - he has done so much for me - how could I not repay?

I was also lucky that for me, it was $1200 for the first knee and he charged $1050 for the second. Certainly two $1800-2800 surgeries would have been impossible, because even the $2250 was a massive stretch for me!

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN

sigpic8232_2.gif

- Roger Caras

#70 Ditto-Phoenix

Ditto-Phoenix

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

:yes: I agree
Linda- Ditto and Phoenix's Mom

Posted Image

#71 the Colonel

the Colonel

The Silent Type :)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

2nd ACL Surgery for the Colonel.

Hi Everyone, we are new to the forum and hoping to get a bit of advice. The Colonel had an ACL repair in May 2011. His knee was repaired and he was on his way to recovery when about a month later he had a pancreatitis attack. He spent a week in the ER. I have been cooking his food since the episode and no more problems with diarrhea or vomiting. The vet said that is would be likely that the other ACL would go too. Sure enough, this past weekend, he tore the other ACL. He should have had surgery yesterday but his labs were off. His lipase panel is high and his liver enzymes high normal. I'd like to get him healthy and address both his lipase and liver and get these levels down so that this little playful guy can get his other ACL repaired and get on with his happy life! Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for natural supplements or food to address these issues. Thanks a million!

the Colonel's Mommy :kiss2:

Edited by the Colonel, 27 November 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#72 samson's mom

samson's mom

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

My first Havanese is only 7 months old so I don't have any real advice but I wanted to welcome you. This is a great place for Havanese lovers and chock full of great info and very knowledgeable folks. the Colonel is a cutie, I hope he heals well and quickly.

#73 the Colonel

the Colonel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. The surprising thing is...you wouldn't know this little guy had any problems. He is running around with a toy in his mouth, tail wagging and the "come and get me" chase in his eyes. Even though he is hopping on the repaired other hind leg. I just don't want him to cause any more damage and would very much like to get his lipase and liver enzymes down so that we can move forward with surgery. Suggestions welcome!!!! Thanks everyone.

#74 Leeann

Leeann

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hi Colonel's mom, welcome to HT. What a little cutie your guy is, sorry to hear he has to go through surgery again. As far as lowering his liver enzymes, hopefully you can do this with a food change. What are you feeding him now and what is the protien level?
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Leeann
Riley, Monte & Rumor's mom

#75 the Colonel

the Colonel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi Leean. Thanks for your reply. After the pancreatitis attack last May, I have been feeding him ground turkey with brown rice, cottage cheese and veggies (peas, carrots, green beans) and he has done really well on this. No tummy troubles, vomiting or loose stools. I also feed him 4x/day 1/4 cup each time and he seems to do much better with smaller meals. His protein levels also came back high. The vet started him on Denamarin which we began a few days ago. Other than that, I went to Mothers Market (a health food store) and they also suggested an ionic liquid mineral supplement (which I have added 1 tsp to his morning meal). Any suggestions you can offer would be well received. Thanks so much!

#76 Amanda

Amanda

is the least crazy of the CDLs :)

• Administrators
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I am sorry you are going through so much at once with your little guy but wanted to say welcome to HT :)
  • the Colonel likes this
Dashie, Belle, Dora, & Brisa's family
La Brisa Havanese

#77 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

You might want to bump your liver question to its own thread, you might get more attention/answers if people see the subject line! Sounds like a stressful time, hopefully someone has some ideas.

-Kat

& GCH William CGC RN

sigpic8232_2.gif

- Roger Caras