#1 MzMango

MzMango

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationFort Campbell

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

I apologize if there is already a thread on this. My Ziggy's head looks like someone crimped it. He has a top silky coat on his body but underneath is just curls. He makes me think of a poodle though with his head and then when he is wet its just tight curls. I can't seem to get it brushed out and free of mats. Now we are having to cut all his hair of his head which saddens me because I love his "rasta" look. But unfortantly that too has matted. What do you all suggest?? I hate taking him to the groomers because he scares so easily. So i'd rather do it on my own but I seem to be failing him at this point.

#2 Kat

Kat

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

The best brush definitely depends on the coat type. I assume you don't show your guys - so i would look at a nice, gentle slicker brush and a really good comb.

Slicker brushes are a little bit better at removing dead hair than a pin brush. They are not quite as gentle on the coat, but in your case, that's a good thing!

I like Chris Christensen's slicker brushes - some have very harsh pins, these are softer and more appropriate for the face. (I use MARK II SMALL HEAD SIZE)

The other thing you'll probably need is a really good metal comb. Find one that has wider teeth on one side, and narrower teeth on the other. This will let you really get in and get every tangle out. To be honest, I've never found enormous difference among brands with these.

The most important thing is to brush daily, or even twice a day. You need to brush and comb before those mats form, and you'll just need to work out a tangle or two. A spray bottle with a little conditioner diluted in, mist over the coat, will help eliminate static and help the brushes go through.

You could also go "all rasta" and let him cord :)

Your two are adorable - what completely different coat types!

-Kat

& GCH William

:clover: Clover, CDX RN NA NAJ; 1997 - 2012

sigpic8232_2.gif

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the room we can spare, and the love we can spare,
and they give us their all. It is truly the best deal man has ever made."
- Roger Caras

#3 Poornima

Poornima

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

I would recommend first combing out the mats gently. I would use a good quality greyhound comb. (I use Ashly Craig's Greyhound combs- to start with one, I would recommend "Beauty" as it does a great job. They are bit expensive but the quality is excellent. I bought Beauty comb 4 years ago and it is still in excellent shape).

If the the mat is thick and tangled and impossible to comb out fully, I would cut it vertically along the direction of hair growth. So you don't have gaping holes in the coat. Once you have combed out all the mats,gently brush the entire coat.

You may not be able to do all the mats at one time since it is too painful and tiring. I would do small portions every day. Keep those treats handy and take short breaks if the matting is too severe.

I use KW brand bristle and wooden pin brushes. I bought them 4 years ago in the US and the quality is excellent. They are holding up really well. They work both on silky coats and cottony coats. Here is the link to the websiteKW Brushes

Edited: To add information on brushes.

Edited by Poornima, 16 January 2011 - 01:30 PM.

Poornima
Benji and Lizzie's Mom

Posted Image

#4 Leeann

Leeann

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,145 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

A good force dryer also helps remove and straighten the coat a little also.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Leeann
Riley, Monte & Rumor's mom

#5 MzMango

MzMango

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationFort Campbell

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Thank you everyone. And yes I don't show them.

#6 ls-indy

ls-indy

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationFishers, Indiana (suburb of Indianapolis)

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

I am planning on a couple of Madan bushes: Madan Brushes and my favorite comb is this one: Jodi Murphy comb

Jodi Murphy's website also has DVD's with dog grooming instructions and one of them is specific to the Havanese....
Lynda (Daisy & Beau's mom)
Daisy Mae - born 4/05/08
Beau - born 4/25/09

#7 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Moderators
  • 5,797 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

Both my boys have straighter coats even though the cottony-ness makes for mats too. I think the curlier coats must be harder to maintain in a longer look. I hardly ever use a brush--I use combs. I have a very widely spaced, medium spaced to the thinner spaced tines to work through the coats in sequence. Using the wider comb (All Systems De-matting comb) gets all the hair flowing one direction and helps locate the largest mats to work on. Then progressing down to the finer combs makes sure to get even the tiniest mats out and I'm sure to go all the way through to the skin. I only use a brush after teh comb is completely combed through.

In my opinion, a brush only combs over the top layer of the coat making it look nice but doesn't get all the way to the skin so many times the dog looks brushed out even though the coat is matting underneath.

If Ziggy is too badly matted, it may just be the nicer choice for both of you to get him a short hair do for now and start again trying to keep up with it. I think the curly coated dogs especially look very nice in short hair dos. :D

Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
3712886271_aa557c7627_m.jpg

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> .gif .gif .gif .gif .gif

.gif 

#8 Amanda

Amanda

is the least crazy of the CDLs :)

• Administrators
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

I am pretty die-hard on my chris christensen brush and greyhound comb. They are pricey but I really only use the two of them. Every time I buy something new, I use it a bit but go back to my trustee 2 tools. I also can say I still have the first ones I bought almost 8 years ago and I have 3 dogs I do myself so I think I get what I pay for! As to keeping a curly coated dog straight, I agree with Leeann about blowing them out but then again don't let them go near moisture!
Posted Image
Dashie, Belle, Dora, & Brisa's family

#9 NolaGirl

NolaGirl

Advanced Talker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

What tricks did you guys use when your havanese was a squirmy puppy? She used to be better about letting me brush her, but now she that she is so much more of an active little pup, she hates it. She will let me for a short time, but her hair is getting longer and I worry about mats. I feel like sometimes it hurts her and don't want her to fear grooming.

Thanks,

Carrie

#10 Christy

Christy

Out of Control

• Moderators
  • 5,797 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

What tricks did you guys use when your havanese was a squirmy puppy? She used to be better about letting me brush her, but now she that she is so much more of an active little pup, she hates it. She will let me for a short time, but her hair is getting longer and I worry about mats. I feel like sometimes it hurts her and don't want her to fear grooming.

Thanks,

Carrie

Sometimes they do better at it in the evening or when they are tired. It can help to make a routine too, using a grooming table or other chosen location and starting the combs outs at the same end each time. Try to end up on a positive note. You could offer a treat at the end for sitting so nicely. It's important to get them used to being groomed--daily is best--because as the coat gets longer it tangles more easily and then there's that darn coat blowing too!

Phoebe, Rufus, and Marley
3712886271_aa557c7627_m.jpg

Please click my eggs. Their lives depend on it! ----> .gif .gif .gif .gif .gif

.gif 

#11 Missy

Missy

Big Time Yacker

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

I love this really cheap comb I get at petsmart. It has rotating metal tines so it seems to get through mats. It is made by Bamboo.

As the owner of two pretty curly Havs...I agree with christy that the best thing may be a puppy cut and then grow it back as you keep up on it.

The best conditioner I have used for the curly coat was coat handlers.
Missy, Jasper & Cash
Posted Image
yinyang by Missy F, on Flickr

#12 Jane

Jane

Out of Control

• Moderators
  • 2,127 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hi Carrie - I would groom my pups every night, just for 10-15 min or so, and then give them a BIG treat afterwards to build a positive association with it.

It helped for me to groom them on a soft surface, either my lap, or in between my legs as I sat on the bed with them. They really didn't like being on the table - it was too hard, I think.
Jane
Lincoln & Scout's Mom

Posted ImagePosted Image
Lincoln & Scout (^ Photo by Carolina Cross)

#13 Ann

Ann

Out of Control

• Members
  • 2,082 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

Gracie is wiggly and contorts her body in an attempt to get away during grooming so I sit on the floor and hold her between my legs unless I have the grooming table out. Everybody gets a treat after grooming, they know they'll get it and wait for it.

I agree with Amanda-I love my Chris Christensen brushes and combs. I have the wooden pin brush in two different sizes and two CC combs, one is larger than the other. I have the Jodi Murphy grooming DVD and it is helpful but I've only watched it once and need to watch a few more times.
Ann
Scooter, Murphy, Gracie, & Teensy's Mom

Support Havanese Rescue - www.havaneserescue.com

file://localhost/Users/aadams/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2011/Apr%2024,%202011/IMG_3261.JPG